Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #21 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Don't do paradise fish. I had three and they killed each other. This is why I don't trust store workers anymore.
Yeah that is why don't want them, I saw your thread...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #22 
Shirleythebetta

Huh, glad I helped with that. Those would be nice fish as a single and all alone. They are really neat and so similar to betta. Even flare their gill plates and make bubblenests. They also get black when they are mad which is neat. It happens at the snap of a finger. I don't think I would ever own one again.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just want to point out, sorry your paradise fish killed each other, Shirley. Lesson learned I guess, pet shop people are crazily uninformed sometimes- they see the species kept together in the same tank and assume it's fine to do this long term.
Most sources say to keep males solitary, while females can be kept in small groups since they are less aggressive.
It's important to remember that all these anabantoids are aggressive. Like I said at times they are forced to fight for resources like crazy.
I'd say in general, aggression levels are betta splendens, paradise fish, wild betta, then gourami, from most to least aggressive (there are QUITE few exceptions, such as noble gourami who are all jerks to each other). Even peaceful gourami such as honeys have been known to kill each other (male vs male), for no apparent reason. I like to assume that something small, probably undetectable, happens in the tank that kick starts their aggression, like how a dry season in the wild would turn on their aggression, but it's just a thought.
All these fish are quite close to my heart (they were the only ones that didn't die in my horrible fish tanks when I was little). ^-^

Btw, not pushing you into paradise fish, kfry, they were just the only other small solitary fish I could think of. I'm quite excited to see this flame gourami. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #24 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks for the info and for sure a lesson learned. After that I started testing shop workers on things I knew about to asses their knowledge. For instance, I asked a girl if I could keep three comet goldfish in a 29 gallon and she said, "yea, sure"
I like to learn about agressive species in general and that was nicely put. I did like the paradise fish for it's general looks and personality. They were very curious with people and actually "kissed" my skin when I cleaned the tank. They are very lovely as a SOLITARY fish. :)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, maybe someday you could try again someday with a solitary male. They are very hardy (like betta). I find solitary fish seem to be smarter and "bond" to their owners more (like in the way our betta "bond" to us). ^-^ I really want one, but for now I want to grow my fish collection, so no lone fishie!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #26 
kfryman

I like how gouramis are often peaceful as well, since that means you can easily have them with other fish.

Olympia I think you have something going, solitary fish don't really bond since they aren't schooling fish but will bond to their owners. Schooling fish generally have each other so they don't need someone. Something like that, makes sense though...

I wish my sister would move out or take her desk down as it is only used to store items, she never actually does work on it. That way I can put the 16 gallon there
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, solitary fish need to be smarter since theres only one mind thinking the "survival plan" out, while schooling fish have tons of minds thinking things out. xD

And yea, the more common gourami seem to mind their own business in tanks.