Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawn Log: Marble Dragon x Mustard Gas

3K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  AFishTale 
#1 · (Edited)
April 20th, 2012

After conditioning on a diet of bloodworms, brine shrimp, and a home-made protien food my pair are in the spawning tank.​

Dad is a marble dragon from HM parents imported from thailand, I don't have photos of his parents but I do have some of his full siblings.​

Full brother.

Full Sisters.

Mom is a mustard gas imported from thailand, I have no background on her.​

This paring is to both try my hand at raising fry, and to satisfy my curiosity of what they will produce. I hope to spawn my male's all white dragon brother to a dragon sibling next.​

9:50 AM

My pair have been in the spawning tank for a few hours now, the female in a glass bowl. So far there's been tons of flaring from both parties. Female is showing breeding bars, but the male has not started to nest yet.

See less See more
#12 ·
8:30
He is still chasing her rather than building a nest. She dropped a round of eggs just now, but obviously they weren't fertile. Anything I can do to get him interested in nesting? I have another male I can use, but if I can get this one to work I would like to.

#18 ·
Some males don't build a nest till after spawning starts. What do you have in the tank for the male to nest under? My steel male didn't build a nest the first attempt so I pulled them and reconditioned for 2 weeks and he started nest building before I put him back in the spawn tank. Some males prefer different things to build under too. I've found my males love bubble wrap over styrofoam cups.

#21 · (Edited)
12:11
I have re-catured the female and she is floating in the spawning tank, getting a bit of a break from chasing, and watching the male as he finally starts his nest. (in the most in inconvenient of places, but hey, whatever floats his bubbles.) I'll release her again once the nest grows in size.

#26 ·
My pair just spawed Friday,the male didn't build a bubblenest too,then, the male looks less aggressive and the female is showing breeding bars and head pointing down.

#30 ·
Leave them be it can take 3 days for new spawners so dont worry to much. As long as its not relentless chasing and attacking its fine. Sometimes having another female around in the tank (like floating opposite the bubblenest) for 15 min can motivate the female more. Does the female still have eggs left sense she is dropping them so much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.