Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 
wyshlexia

Suggestions for a filter with a pet keeper?

Hi there!

A while back I got a 5-gallon pet keeper for my beta fish and it's been working out great. Unfortunately, my old filter doesn't work anymore as it clipped to the side of the old tank. At the moment I'm looking to get a new filter, preferably one that sticks to the side of tank. Any suggestions?

I cut through one of the sides of the cover so that I could get the heater in there. So as long as the filter only attaches by suction cup it should work.

Thanks!
wyshlexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #2 
Cinderwolf

I have an Elite Stingray that goes completely int he tank ( with suction cups) so only the cord hangs out. It is meant for 5 gallon so it would work. I havent used it in an actually tank but I tested it out and the output isnt too strong ( and can be aimmed to baffle it)
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #3 
copperarabian

the tetra whisper might work too
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 
jaela

If the Hydro Sponge I fits, that would work well for that kind of a tank. You'll need to make another small hole for an air tube to attach to an air pump for it to run, but that's it.
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 
Mo

bettas are labyrinth fish and prefer minimal flow so ideally I would use a small sponge filter or a similar product that emits, and causes a low amount of flow as most five gallons have a small surface area that will most likely result in all of it being slightly effected negatively. Leaving the betta stressed.......if you can't use a spong filter I would recommend a small external filter as it won't take up any space that the Betta uses to swim and explore, it won't look unsightly, and it will most likely be very efficient. Some good brand and model filters are Azoo palm filter aquatech 5-15, and tetra PF10.........you should also place the media with already pre-existing media from the old filter if the media has been preserved correctly and has been wet, of it Is not kept wet. The bacteria wil die, along with having a source of ammonia/nitrites, of you leave the media without some sort of supply of ammonia/nitrites for more than a day, most of the bacteria will have perished and gone into hibernation.......if you have live plants I wouldn't recommend a filter with activated carbon or adding activated carbon requires as the live plants thrive with excess nutrients which actvivated carbon eliminates
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaela View Post
If the Hydro Sponge I fits, that would work well for that kind of a tank. You'll need to make another small hole for an air tube to attach to an air pump for it to run, but that's it.

Yea! Another fan of hydro sponges!!! :D

Only problem is they are impossible to find in stores (here). They have to be ordered online in many cases.

Sorry I couldn't be much help, but the filters touched on in other posts cover filters I could recommend.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 
Mo

Twilight. I completely agree with you, hydor filters are very hard to find in stores but they are awesome products!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 
Wolfie305

I have this filter for Paarthurnax's 5.5 gallon tank and its amazing! Barley any flow and extremely quiet and small :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4239991
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 
freemike

So thankful my LFS carries the hydor sponge filters. :)
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5-gallon, filter, keeper, pet