Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #1 
maple rookie

100% water change for a 1.5 g tank?

Hi,
I have a Betta which I keep in a 1.5 G tank with a filter (it is a Tetra filter which is connected to an air pump with a filter cartage), with an Apple snail. It has some gravel and a piece of ornament. No live plant.
I have read that I should take the Betta out and wash the whole tank including the gravel and such; but I have also been told that I should nto do constant 100% water change.
Right now I am doing 100% water change about every 3-4 days and I usually use a cup and take out about 25 % water every day, just to keep the water from getting too dirty.
I feed only pellets, no flake.
I add betta water conditioner, someaquarium salt, a bit of alkaline buffer when I do my big water change, and I also add a bit of 'stability" to the water.
I am just wondering is this okay...
Is stability necessary? And should I add salt and alkaline buffer after each water change?
Thank you.
maple rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple rookie View Post
Hi,
I have a Betta which I keep in a 1.5 G tank with a filter (it is a Tetra filter which is connected to an air pump with a filter cartage), with an Apple snail.
Betta plus apple snail = kind of overstocked. You may want to consider upgrading or rehoming the snail. Apples have a big bioload.
It has some gravel and a piece of ornament. No live plant.
I have read that I should take the Betta out and wash the whole tank including the gravel and such; but I have also been told that I should nto do constant 100% water change.
With a tank over 5 gallons that has been through the nitrogen cycle, it's true that you don't want to do a 100% change because this will disrupt the cycle. However, tanks under 5 gals don't really cycle, so you've nothing to disrupt. A 100% change in your tank will be fine. :)
Right now I am doing 100% water change about every 3-4 days and I usually use a cup and take out about 25 % water every day, just to keep the water from getting too dirty.
That sounds likea good plan to me, to make up for the extra bioload of the snail. :) Good job.
I feed only pellets, no flake.
I add betta water conditioner, someaquarium salt, a bit of alkaline buffer when I do my big water change, and I also add a bit of 'stability" to the water.
I am just wondering is this okay...
Is stability necessary?
Nope. It's not harmful, but Stability (claims to) add good bacteria into the filter, which is only really necessary in a cycled tank. Again, yours isn't cycled.
And should I add salt and alkaline buffer after each water change?
I wouldn't. Prolonged exposure to salt can cause damage and makes them resistant to it, so it does less good when used as a medication.
I wouldn't add alkaline buffer either, unless your water parameters are really crazy. Bettas will adjust to a stable alkalinity; one that fluctuates with each water change is going to be harder for them. :)
Thank you.
Hope this answers some questions for you! Seems like your fish is in very caring hands. : )
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
maple rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Hope this answers some questions for you! Seems like your fish is in very caring hands. : )
Thank you very much. I have removed the snail, and left the Betta in the tank. I forgot to mention I have a small heater and the temeprature is kept at 78 constant.
I will stick to just adding water conditioner after water change.
My tap water is acidic, which is why I though of adding alkaline buffer. I thought salt and buffer can help to keep up the Gh and Kh but I will not do that anymore.
I am new to this, dont know much but I do try my best to learn as much as I can and try to treat my fish well.
Thank you for your help.;)
maple rookie is offline   Reply With Quote