Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #1 
PersuAzN

Exclamation Please Help?

Hello, I am a new member here. Last November I recently obtained my male betta fish, Chuck Norris, and since it's been really great up until now. Something devastating has happaned to my tank. I own a 6 gallon Fluval Edge and since cycling it back in December my Betta has thrived. I was a little worried because of the little opening but he's smart and seems to dart up there either for food or air. Through the last several months I've added a few neon Tetra and a moonlight gourami (Chuck ignores them all).

A week ago i was away for two days and I asked my sister if she could drop down and check on them and feed them. She said that the water was a tad cloudy and i told her add a little of the Seachem Clarity. Came home and the water was straight orange. I was confused so I asked her how much she added in - she said what the bottle said. Turns out she added a capful when really she should have added slightly lesser than half a cap. I couldn't even see the fish in there but I decided to wait it out. Morning after, all Neon Tetra and moonlight Gourami died.. pale.. Then Chuck, his face was pale and white but body had color. This was the morning before work So i didn't have time to do maintenance but i was devastated to find all my fish dead. After work and class I came home to find Chuck with color back in his face swimming???! I was shocked because I was pretty sure he had died!! I even poked him this morning because he was on the corner opening of the Fluval edge, no movement just pale in the face. I quickly put him in a large cup and added some betta fix. I cleaned the entire tank and gave it a 80% water change. I even took out the decorations and wiped them clean. I knew it was going to re cycle the tank by doing all that but I didn't want take the chance. I even rinsed the filter, the Seachem Clarity overdose made the filter straight muddy orange... I waited 24 hours and I put Chuck Norris back in. For a week I've been closely observing him, and he seems to be back to normal. Only thing I left in the tank were the two live plants and i put back two decorations plus the heater stayed in there. I don't understand what happaned to Chuck. Did he die and came back to life? Do betta fish have something where if their life is in danger their bodies shut down until the atmosphere is suitable? His face was literally pale, eyes whited over, not moving, even after a nudge with my finger. He just had color in his body and fins. Just want this mystery solved... thank you.
PersuAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 
registereduser

you had too many fish in the 6 gallon, maybe there was an ammonia over load, especially if you didn't do 50% change every week. Do you test your water?

You said you even rinsed the filter, I believe the filter cartridge needs rinsing weekly .

Last edited by registereduser; 04-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 
PersuAzN

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
you had too many fish in the 6 gallon, maybe there was an ammonia over load, especially if you didn't do 50% change every week. Do you test your water?

You said you even rinsed the filter, I believe the filter cartridge needs rinsing weekly .

Yup, made it work. Checked water every week. Nitrites 0, Nitrates a little over 0, amm 0. Every week i check im very OCD with that. I did a 25% water change once a week.

It wasn't that that killed the fish all in one night, it was def the overdose of seachem clarity.

Also my question wasnt about the death of the other fish but the miracle survival of my one betta fish.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 
PersuAzN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersuAzN View Post
I don't understand what happaned to Chuck. Did he die and came back to life? Do betta fish have something where if their life is in danger their bodies shut down until the atmosphere is suitable? His face was literally pale, eyes whited over, not moving, even after a nudge with my finger. He just had color in his body and fins. Just want this mystery solved... thank you.
Bump

Last edited by PersuAzN; 04-19-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersuAzN View Post
I don't understand what happaned to Chuck. Did he die and came back to life? Do betta fish have something where if their life is in danger their bodies shut down until the atmosphere is suitable? His face was literally pale, eyes whited over, not moving, even after a nudge with my finger. He just had color in his body and fins. Just want this mystery solved... thank you.
Chuck was probably in shock due to the chemicals and you got him into clean water on time, so he recovered. I have seen fish with the same symptoms after they had been shocked due to a sudden drastic temperature change. Example: someone pouring hot water into a tank, directly on to fish.

ps. Cool name!
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #6 
PersuAzN

thanks for the reply, did not know fish could go into shock (at least not in appearance) looked like his head was dead but his body was living. I can never get that image out of my head. Chuck is doing fine now, im still testing the water everyday. Looks like my tank didn't recycle. funny... i thought it would doing a 80% water change.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

There is very little good bacteria in the water. It is almost all in the filter. Even a 100% change shouldn't be dangerous in a cycled tank, unless you change the media too.

I would strongly advise not adding any other fish to that tank in future, though. It's stocked with one betta and some inverts. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, fluval edge, hardy, safe, seachem clarity