Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 
MarinePsycho

Can one study Betta's as a proffesion?

That just popped up in my mind.

I mean, who wouldn't wanna study Betta Fish as a job? That'd be awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

This site would be the school then!
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 
Betta16

well If you wanted you could wright a book about bettas and get it printed, in this form you would be payed for studying bettas, or you could see about a grant but in less you have a lot of school behind you in the study of fish i dont see a grant a likely but you could try your hand at book, tho i wouldnt quit my job or anything to do it.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 
Aside

you can do anything so long as you can find the funding. If you were a biologist it would be possible to, as Betta16 said, get a grant. Or you could try to find a comany to hire you. Maybe a fish supplier or something.

anything is possible but I'm sure it would be extremely difficult.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #5 
MarinePsycho

Thank you for answering.

I was just curious, that's all.
Posted via Mobile Device
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

There are ichthyologists who specialize in anabatids (family of fish that betta are a part of). Very few people go as far as to specialize in a specific species unless it is a severely endangered and iconic one like bluefin tuna or white sturgeon. Due to the large number of fish species (close to 40,000) it's rather impractical to study just a single species. However, there have been specific scientific studies that used betta fish, mostly ones dealing with aggression.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

I would say no. There isn't much that is left to discover about them. Wild species maybe. But honestly, what would be the reason?

I could never have fish keeping as a job. It's a hobby to me. My teachers have told me to go into it being a profession but if I do I'll probably lose interest which is something I would hate to do. So for me, no I would actually hate keeping and researching bettas as a profession.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden

A lot of ichthyology work is simply trying to figure out exactly which species go where in the 'tree of life' through genetic testing, but this work would mostly be in a lab. You might not even have to see the fish you are testing because the DNA was collected by field biologists. That's probably all that is left aside from new species discovery and documentation for the anabatids. I know some experiments are done with the labyrinth organ which they use betta, but that and the behaviour studies are really it. And those studies aren't what the scientists base their entire career on. It's usually just some grad work.

Believe it or not, fisheries science actually has very little to do with fishkeeping. It's mostly conservation and management of wild populations. Aquaculture is another path you can take, but it is vastly different from what we do at home. The closest thing would be working at a public aquaria as an aquatic vet, but you would end up working mostly with large marine species.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote