Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 
wystearya

Transferring one tank to another, help?

My new 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium came today! And I managed to find a sturdy TV stand at my local Walmart to set it on. <3

I have the stand assembled and the currently empty tank on it. I also bought a small bag of extra gravel.

I currently have a 5 gallon aquarium, it is cycled with a sponge filter. I want to move the gravel, water, live plants, and filter all into my new tank...

But I need to know if there is any certain way I should do this? I have a small critter keeper I can put my Betta into while I am moving things around. I'm hoping that with the gravel and sponge filter that my bacteria will live and keep the cycle. (I do have the API freshwater test kit, and I will test the water daily until I know it is stable.)

Can I just siphon the water from my current tank directly into the new tank? I assume I move the water first then the gravel? Plants are going to have to be last, I guess..?

I know I will have to add another 1.6 gallons to make up the difference in tank sizes, I have my Prime so that isn't a problem. I just worry about the cycle crashing. :/

So, anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I will be doing the move tomorrow, I am tired now from work and putting together the TV stand. LOL

Thank you all!
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

So jealous! I want that tank.

I would just bag the betta as if you are doing a 100% change. It honestly won't take too much time to transfer everything over. I would also use at least half new water. Water doesn't contain much good bacteria, so you can use this as an opportunity for a water change. :)

I would do as much of the substrate as you can before removing a large amount of water. Then you can remove about 50% of the water and put in the rest of the substrate, then the plants, then fill up the rest of the way with water. :)

Make sure you keep your filter wet with dirty water during this process. :)

Good luck!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 
wystearya

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to post pics once I am finished. I already love how the new tank looks, and it is just empty with the background on it. he he!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 
BeckyFish97

I know this is completely off topic and everything...but it's also very important...I WANT YOUR BETTA
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
I know this is completely off topic and everything...but it's also very important...I WANT YOUR BETTA
He he, thank you! Comet was a great find from my local Petsmart. ;)

---

And, I now have the new tank set up!

Pics here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....23#post1054323