Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #31 
topheredward

So after the nitrate cycle is complete, I should be doing like a 40% water change once a week? I've heard everything from 10% to 60% now and I'm a little confused?
lol...
topheredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #32 
topheredward

And what do you mean by starve him? I havent heard that yet?
I've also had people tell me to avoid snails because he would eat them and it would be very bad for him, is this true?
topheredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #33 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheredward View Post
So after the nitrate cycle is complete, I should be doing like a 40% water change once a week? I've heard everything from 10% to 60% now and I'm a little confused?
lol...
It's really situational how much you change, based on how much nitrate builds up over the week. I always did 50% on a five gallon. 40% would probably be fine for you.

By starve, I believe that person means fast. In other words, don't feed your betta one day a week. It's a good practice to prevent bloating/constipation. Snails are good for them if they eat them! But, they won't eat large snails. Just small pond snails and baby snails.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #34 
Enkil

I never net my males. I catch them by hand. However, I do net my females. Just don't want to take a risk with the fins of my boys since I have halfmoons. lol

As others have done, I highly recommend that the tank be cycled beforehand. It's good for the health of your tank.

I've found that the anubias plants do very well with LED lighting. I have one floating in a 3.5 gallon with LED lighting. Very nice color and looks very healthy. Though I do also have it in my 10 gallon tanks which have regular lighting.

If you happen to use any fake plants, don't do plastic even though sell so many of them that they label for betta use. They tear fins. Silk plants are better but live is even better.

Feeding.
I've had picky fish and now have one with slightly impaired vision. Sometimes you have to experiment to find what your betta likes. I have one that wont eat anything but teeny tiny pellets. The one with slight vision problems eats bigger brighter pellets. I don't recommend flakes because they can dirty the water, but I've heard of others using it without a problem. Frozen foods are better than freeze dried.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

If the tank IS cycled you don't need to do a large water change. I do 25%-30% weekly gravel siphoning and water change, with any tank with a betta in it that is cycled and 5 or more gallons. Even if the bioload says I can do say...10%, I still do the 25%.

Everyone has their own way of cleaning their tank, but I've been told once to do 50%, but all other times 25-35%. So I stuck with 25% :)

Snails are not bad. Yes they can explode into millions but only if they are given the chance! My males only ever tried eating snails, but they never liked th shell.. if I had too many I'd squish the snails and feed them to my males xD

Fasting is good one day of the week :) the reason people prefer pellets is it is easier to feed amounts (3 flakes vs. 3 similar sized pellets), pellets are better for them, and yes the flakes can get messy!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote