Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Fish- In Cycle

Okay so if you have read my thread '6 Gallon Log' you will know I started a 'pure' ammonia cycle in ym 6 gallon then ended up having to tear it down and wash everything cause apparently my ammonia wasn't pure and was foaming like made from the filter.

So I went to walmart to find some pure.. no luck. I am starting to just want to do a fish in cycle.. My boy is fin nipping and I think its from the small tank really. I think beign in the 6 gal would really help him.

But of course I want him to be safe.. I have the api master kit and would do the daily testing an necessary water changes. It is easy enough to siphon off water to change.

So really can anyone run me through all the pros and cons of this method and possibly some good guides?
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #2 
wystearya

I will give you one important tip: Get a quality water test kit, not the strips. You will want to closely monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels during the cycling process.

Anytime you get much of an ammonia or nitrite reading, you will want to do a partial water change. Your cycle may go slowly, but it will cycle in time of you keep the tank heated and your filter running.

If you google 'fish in cycle' you might find some information there too.

Good luck!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 
nel3

i did a fish in cycle with the 5g divided (2 betta). it worked though i did have some live plants inside also. i did water changes when ammonia and nitrites went above .25 ppm and nitrAtes above 10 ppm. those are the limits i went with and 50%wc a week, not too sure how much difference in WC it would be with the extra gallon.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You can safely cycle the 6gal filtered tank with the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes.....
Since you have a test kit at hand this will make it much easier....

Remember the nitrifying bacteria are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas within the tank, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media-very little are in the water column and water only changes will not hurt or stall the cycle, however, over cleaning can.....

Limit vacuuming, cleaning decoration and viewing walls to 1 time a week-best to leave non-viewing walls dirty
But you do need to vacuum at least weekly or the BB will suffocate
Only vacuum in area that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots

Once you get the Betta acclimated to the 6gal-test water daily and make 50% water only change with any ammonia, nitrite reading of 0.25ppm or greater-you may or may not need to make this water change-remember sometimes the additives you use can cause skewed reading-be sure and do a base line test to know before hand....so not to change water based on skewed reading....

Make your regular weekly 50% with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything-this is the water change you will do for the life of the tank to maintain water quality.

Filter media need a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month-best to start this in the 4-5 week unless the water flow is compromised.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I will give you one important tip: Get a quality water test kit, not the strips. You will want to closely monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels during the cycling process.
Oops! I see you said you have the API kit. Ignore this part of my advice then!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #6 
Cinderwolf

Okay so what I am reading is change the water anytime it goes higher than .25 for ammonia and nitrites and 10 for the nitrates.

Limit vaccuming, and cleaning decorations but do 50 % change weekly vaccuming anywhere I can without uprooting plants and disturbing anything.

Daily water tests and such to monitor.

Anything else I should know? Ph and I have Prime, would that skew the results? i will do a baseline test before adding the fish to compare.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 
Cinderwolf

Okay since tomorrow I am home all day and I am home all day Wednsday, I have decided to do a 50 percent water change ( to get rid of icky plant needles and snail poop ( DARN SNAILS! I am picking them out one by one when I see them, to add to the snail tank.) Then I ill move his heater from his tank to the big tank get it to temp then acclimate him and let him loose. This way I have 2 days to watch him non stop and scoop him out if anything happens ( paranoidd)

Then with daily water tests hopefully this will go smooth. I am rather excited! Gonna add some more plants and everything then boom it will be nice :D
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #8 
sparkyjoe

As I said in your 6 Gallon thread, Good Luck!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote