Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Frozen bloodworm=big belly! HELP!

Kyon is looking rather bloated. I think I've over fed him with frozen bloodworm I give him as a treat today. Will he be ok? Panicking like mad!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Don't confuse a normal full tummy with bloat and treat needlessly......generally with bloat you will have other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged tummy.....like-buoyancy issues, lethargic, rapid breathing, hiding, clamp fins, not eating or pooping to name the most common S/S seen with bloat......

Other than the enlarged stomach.....any other S/S? if so, we need more info...

Tank size, water temp, filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, tank mates, additives used, health history...etc....and a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 
Sheldon31

No literally came up after feeding. It's my own fault, I didn't state to my OH the proper way of feeding frozen food and he just dropped the frozen block in there! No other side effects. He's just moved house again. See my other post in betta chat catagory. I didn't put this in the emergency because I really do think I've just over fed. I've never over fed before. Will he be ok?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

He should be fine, however, I would hold food for at least 24h and watch for any other S/S of true bloat and/or behavior changes that last more than 12h.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

I would make a water change as well today and tomorrow. The excessive food will increase the waste produced plus the cube already released worm blood into the water.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #6 
Sheldon31

He was fed in the old tank before he was moved to the 15g so no polution. He's fine today. His tummy is back to normal size and he's eaten a flake or 2 of the tetras. He's fairly chilled today and is investigating his surroundings.