Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the advice guys :) I didn't "cram" fish or plants in on a whim, everything was very strategically set up. Sorry if this offends anyone!

But again ignoring the jar, can someone provide me information on how well it is fed? They are fussy little creatures and I neither want to underfeed or over feed it.

Again, I am not going to keep the baby betta in this gallon jar into his adult hood, it is not suited for the environment I made for all the other fish who are primarily herbivores/omnivores. Sorry for any confusions there, he will be alone once he is about twice the size he is now.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
What you haven't taken into consideration is pheromones. All fish produce pheromones.. the young betta release one that stunts the other fry, you are stunting your guy by bathing him in his own poison.
All of your fish are releasing pheromones, this is the way they communicate with each other... This is also the biggest reason that we must do water changes in any tank. Pheromones are invisible, and will increase the stress of all your fish, your oto and cory are probably terrified of the hidden messages being released by the betta, even if it is a baby. It's like living in your bedroom, knowing there is a poisonous spider in your room. You can survive, but you will always know that the spider is there, and you will live in constant terror of it. This is the best example I can give.... This is why we need large tanks to house betta with other fish, so the pheromones are diffused into a larger water area, and controlled by water changes.....

As mentioned, your baby should have at least 80F for best growth.
Interesting, I've never studied fish phermone before :) That will be the next part of my research, thankyou!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #13 
lilyth88

I'm sorry, I try to be nice to everyone on here, but your jar is just terrifying me. Even if they seem happy to you, those are not proper living conditions for any of those fish. Your cory and otto need to be with other cories and ottos. That is their nature. If it was one betta in there, you could swing it, provided you got a heater. As it is, you are horribly overstocked. To be honest, I feel a bit sick to my stomach at this.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #14 
Luimeril

making sure they eat enough, is why i kept Chappy Belle, my own baby betta i got from a breeder, in her own tank. best thing for it, would be Baby brine Shrimp and crushed quality pellets.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #15 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
so.... your landlord made you get rid of your fish. yet you went out and severely overstocked a jar with more?
Yeah, I have to agree with this. If your landlord does not want you to have fish, and you already had to 'get rid of' some, why did you get more..?

I feel bad for the fish that were gotten rid of. I mean, what happened to them..?

Please don't get any more fish. Or other pets if your landlord will not allow it. I know it stinks when you want a pet but can't have one. I waiting for *years* before I got my dog because I either wasn't allowed or didn't have a good place for one. I was nearly 30 before I finally got my dog, but he was worth the wait. And I can -properly- care for him. Please do these living animals (your fish) a favor and not get anymore. They don't deserve to live in a tiny jar hidden away and at risk of being thrown out by your landlord. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh I adopted them out to some very nice people, I made sure they were very nice and will look after my fish. Along with the fish I gave them a handbook for betta care inculding temperature how much to feed and stuff. With the fish were tanks, blood worms, hikari pellets plants etc... dont worry, no toilet fluhing incidents occurred :)

And as for the landlord, I'm thinking of moving next year, since I dont like hom anyway.

Annnnd there is nothing in a closet or anything of that sort, I'm still learning how to make this system work, and nothin has died. But if something does get sick or die, I will look into it and improve the system.

Last edited by ao; 04-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
making sure they eat enough, is why i kept Chappy Belle, my own baby betta i got from a breeder, in her own tank. best thing for it, would be Baby brine Shrimp and crushed quality pellets.
Just moved it to a half Gal with IAL :) Thankyou, do they know when to stop eating? Or is there a certain amount you feed?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #18 
Luimeril

:I half gallon would need more water changes than the gallon. i kept Chappy in a 3 gallon with a hater, live Java moss, and daily water changes.

i fed her till she had a nice, round, orange belly. but, that was because i fed her live baby brine shrimp. just feed it till it has a nice belly on it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
I'm sorry, I try to be nice to everyone on here, but your jar is just terrifying me. Even if they seem happy to you, those are not proper living conditions for any of those fish. Your cory and otto need to be with other cories and ottos. That is their nature. If it was one betta in there, you could swing it, provided you got a heater. As it is, you are horribly overstocked. To be honest, I feel a bit sick to my stomach at this.
Sorry about that, it ok to be frustrated at me, I understand your feelings.
But it does work and fish do thrive in such conditions. Ive seen an aquarist who keeps tanks in a similar situation and his fish grow up healthier and breed better than most other tanks that followed after the stereotype fish keeping model. I'm not asking you to believe me ofcourse, and I'm not trying to arguing that the fish are "happy", just something I saw with my own eyes and know can work.

Again, sorry for offending you :)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #20 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Sorry about that, it ok to be frustrated at me, I understand your feelings.
But it does work and fish do thrive in such conditions. Ive seen an aquarist who keeps tanks in a similar situation and his fish grow up healthier and breed better than most other tanks that followed after the stereotype fish keeping model. I'm not asking you to believe me ofcourse, and I'm not trying to arguing that the fish are "happy", just something I saw with my own eyes and know can work.

Again, sorry for offending you :)
My heart just bleeds for any animals that I feel aren't living in the proper conditions. And I don't mean to offend you at all, either.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote