Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

The baby betta is not showing stress marks (also there is no such thing, these markings communicate a number of things). That's a completely normal appearance for one month to two month old fry.

However I agree with the others. One gallon isn't enough for even just a betta. And a growing betta needs even more room (they produce a hormone that stunts them in high concentration).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
:I half gallon would need more water changes than the gallon. i kept Chappy in a 3 gallon with a hater, live Java moss, and daily water changes.

i fed her till she had a nice, round, orange belly. but, that was because i fed her live baby brine shrimp. just feed it till it has a nice belly on it.
Im going to have to do daily water changes in a tank with nothing in it anyway i think, lol I was even going to do a WC every half a day.... do they take frozen well? might take me a while to get BBS, its eating crushed pellets, but I have to wiggle it around on a toothpick.

I'll figure out a way to get the temperature to a stable 80. I have a larger 2gal tupperware which I think I can use, not sure how reliable one of those betta bowl eaters are though. Thanks for reminding me about the plants, i'll give it some Javafern :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
My heart just bleeds for any animals that I feel aren't living in the proper conditions. And I don't mean to offend you at all, either.
It's ok, Im not offended, I was kind of prepared for the onslaught I would get amongst a proper answer. I needed to see the compatibility of the betta in there anyway. Olympia did presented me with a good point, I will need to reintroduce water changes since I haven't taken phermones into consideration, I wonder how outdoor ponds work? hmm....we used to have a large sheltered ceramic pot outdoors with quite a few different fish in there with a potte lily, they grew to be huuugeeee, never changed the water in that one either.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #24 
kfryman

I'm not even gonna start...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

This is a clip of corydoras in the wild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDrfXTOAPw

I can guarantee your one corydoras is feeling quite stressed by its lack of companions. Schooling/shoaling fish stick together for security, it is a natural instinct and just because it 'seems' to be doing well doesn't mean it is.

Otocinclus are the same. They swim together in large numbers and do not do well when kept singly. They are also very active fish and a 1 gallon is horribly cramped for a fish that enjoys constantly moving about.

Also you are going to have to start supplementing your oto's diet soon as that 1 gallon will not have enough natural food to sustain it for very long. If you don't, your oto will eventually starve as they require a constant source of food (such as algae) to graze on.

Fish that are by nature schooling or shoaling, need to be kept in groups. You are essentially denying one of its most basic instincts, and undoubtedly stressing it greatly in the process.

There's no way around it, your 1 gallon (probably actually less once you remove your plants and any substrate etc.) is much too small and an unsuitable home for both of these species.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #26 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
This is a clip of corydoras in the wild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDrfXTOAPw

I can guarantee your one corydoras is feeling quite stressed by its lack of companions. Schooling/shoaling fish stick together for security, it is a natural instinct and just because it 'seems' to be doing well doesn't mean it is.

Otocinclus are the same. They swim together in large numbers and do not do well when kept singly. They are also very active fish and a 1 gallon is horribly cramped for a fish that enjoys constantly moving about.

Also you are going to have to start supplementing your oto's diet soon as that 1 gallon will not have enough natural food to sustain it for very long. If you don't, your oto will eventually starve as they require a constant source of food (such as algae) to graze on.

Fish that are by nature schooling or shoaling, need to be kept in groups. You are essentially denying one of its most basic instincts, and undoubtedly stressing it greatly in the process.

There's no way around it, your 1 gallon (probably actually less once you remove your plants and any substrate etc.) is much too small and an unsuitable home for both of these species.
This.

If you truly love your fish, provide them with proper homes. As it is, who are you really doing this for? Yourself or them?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #27 
Luimeril

off topic, but omg! lookit all the little cory catfish! they're so adorable!

frozen brine shrimp might be okay. i've never used frozen, and hatched my own baby brine shrimp for Chappy.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
This.

If you truly love your fish, provide them with proper homes. As it is, who are you really doing this for? Yourself or them?
Myself, of course, I mean who really keeps fish for the sake of their fish? we'd throw them all back into where they came from, right? After all mother nature has the best sustainable system for any living creature :) Don't we all keep fish as companions for ourselves? how many generations of breeding and abuse do fish have to go through before becoming suitable for home aquariums? And for those "wild caughts" is there really a stress free way to capture and ship fish? If we go by that logic, should any one keep fish at all? Im just saying ;)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
off topic, but omg! lookit all the little cory catfish! they're so adorable!

frozen brine shrimp might be okay. i've never used frozen, and hatched my own baby brine shrimp for Chappy.
Ok frozen it is then, until the baby brine shimps hatch! I'll probably need to wiggle its food around a bit. thank you ! :)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #30 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Myself, of course, I mean who really keeps fish for the sake of their fish? we'd throw them all back into where they came from, right? After all mother nature has the best sustainable system for any living creature :) Don't we all keep fish as companions for ourselves? how many generations of breeding and abuse do fish have to go through before becoming suitable for home aquariums? And for those "wild caughts" is there really a stress free way to capture and ship fish? If we go by that logic, should any one keep fish at all? Im just saying ;)
no offense, but that's a PETA argument. :I domestic bettas like the ones we keep, were created by HUMANS. they cant' survive in teh wild like their wild relatives can, so there's no place to 'throw them back' to. that argument, imo, is selfish. i keep my bettas, for them. many of them would have been in situations far worse than i'd ever provide, shoved in vases, jars, cups, bottles, instead of the 1-3 gallon tanks they live in now, which is the smallest i'd EVER keep a betta in. they are kept alone, which is what bettas want(they're extremely territorial fish), get the best food i can provide, get water changes every few days, have plenty of plants to swim through and sleep in. your jar without the other fish, would be fine for ONE fish, ONE betta, and no more. you saw, in the video, how active those wild cory catfish are. all the fish you crammed in that jar are very active fish, and are unhappy in that tiny little jar. i'd NEVER put any of those fish, save the betta by itself, in anything smaller than a 10 gallon tank. that many fish may be fine for a 20 gallon, or bigger, but not a one gallon jar with limited places for them to swim in.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote