Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Don't know what to do!

I was looking on the local classifieds today and someone is giving away their blue betta, his bowl and his food for free because they don't have time to look after him any more. I'm guessing this betta probably isn't the best looked after. I really want to take him in and feed him up until one of my friends can take him and give him a good permanent home. Here's the problem:

The last time I did this, I got Apollo in his unheated 1 litre jar. Put him in my heated 5 gallon and his tail fell off overnight. Obviously I couldn't rehome him like that, so I had to nurse him back to health multiple times. Every time I had a home lined up, his fin rot came back with a vengeance.
This blue guy would go into (probably) my 3 gallon ex-shrimp tank with a sponge filter and heater, plus lots of lovely little decorations for him to hide in. The trouble is, I know my mum does not want me to set up another tank AGAIN and she'd just be scared this would be a repeat of Apollo.

My plan this time would only be to keep him for 2 weeks as a quarantine fish before sending him off to my friend who runs an aquatic business (stocking, creating and maintaining tanks for various places like childcare centres). If she can't take him, well heck, I'm a comittee member for the local aquarium club. I'll find someone.

The trouble is, I'm worried I would just fall in love with him. You know what bettas are like. You can't help it. :S

What do I do?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #2 
Luimeril

it's better you get him, than someone who'll keep him in the bowl, imo. worst that could happen, is you fall for him and keep him, right?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
registereduser

Tell the guy you'll take the fish if no one else claims him by the time the ad stops running.

Give someone else a chance for a free pet
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

If it's free, though, will they put any effort into finding out what it needs, or will they just continue to keep it in a little bowl?

I confess, I had emailed him to see if it was still up for grabs before posting this question, but I can still say no...I suppose.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
If it's free, though, will they put any effort into finding out what it needs
Why not? You would You can always suggest he give out this website to the new owner.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 
Sivan

I would make a care sheet with the important and appropriate information about betta care. I would give the new owner that along with this website and other useful sources, perhaps ones that purposely put down myths so they are prepared for bad advice. The Animal Planet book on betta care is okay for this, you could recommend it or use some examples from it.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I won't know who the new owner is, though. I can give it to this guy, but I have the feeling he'll go "Pssh, whatever," and dismiss me (and my pamphlets) as a crazy PETA person.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #8 
Kim

^ That is true. The best advice I can give you is that if you have the time and money, go for it. Just keep in mind at all times that he is only a temporary stay and try and get a new home set up as soon as possible so that you have no excuse to keep him. Having connections with a local aquarium club is great though, and very helpful in this situation! I wish there were some around here.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Thankfully/sadly I've been spared the choice. The guy got back to me to say someone else took him.

Thanks anyway, guys. :)