Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 
SeniorD

A sad sad day

Why you should NEVER let someone else care for your bettas!
I moved to a new city and unfortunately had to leave my 13 bettas in the care of my mother-in-law. After a month of not being there to take care of them I FINALLY get to go back and bring them home with me. BUT to my surprise(I was under the impression I was going to pick up all 13 of my bettas.) That however was not the case. I show up to find my sorority tank COMPLETELY empty of ALL decorations/plants etc.. And there were only TWO females left out of 7! and my gorgeous red/orange crown tail. Not only did she not clean the tanks but she let all the water evaporate and let my pump dry up. Thankfully it was spared and still works. I couldn't believe it when I showed up there to get them. I was so upset. Well anyway, not only that but I successfully breaded two of my double tails.(I was already told that it was a mistake to do that for the fact that they were deformities.) Well I had about 60-70 fry and I found all of them smashed on the bottom of the tank because my stupid mother-in-law just poured gravel in the tank! It was awful. I don't understand some people sometimes. Well anyway, this was my rant about why you should NEVER let someone else care for your fish!

R.I.P.
Males:
Klous and Gassy(because he had that gas bubble disease :'C )
Females:
Koi, Lister-fiend, Haylious,
Francene and Pillow pants

Sharky my Albino Rainbow shark
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 
LinkLover

I am so sorry for your losses. :( I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. I certainly hope you told her exactly what she did wrong so she knows that is not ok. I wish you and your fishies all the best.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
SeniorD

I did not actually say anything to her. I was pretty upset about it. My wife would be sad if I said anything to her mother about it. What made me the most upset was the fact I was told they were just as I left them. Then to show up with not a single plant or anything in there. I don't think I would have been so upset if it seemed to be an accident. Why would someone go out of their way to take everything out of my 10g. The water was so filthy it was as bad if not worse then the water they keep the fish in in walmart. I mean I walked in the room the pump/filter was just running with no water going through it. I can't believe it still works. Ahh but alas, I am working on breading my Black crown tail male and my double tail female. The male built his nest but it looks kind of different then the nest my double tail male made. The one my DTM made looked kind of... rough..and the CTMs looks like NICE and clean...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 
LinkLover

Well that's too bad, and also unfortunate that you can't say anything. I don't understand why someone would say they didn't mess with the tank when it was OBVIOUS that they did. And I have the same question. Why would you take something out of someones' tank unless you had specific instructions to do so? Good luck on the breeding! Hopefully that will help take your mind off what happened, and cheer you up a bit. :)
Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
Well that's too bad, and also unfortunate that you can't say anything. I don't understand why someone would say they didn't mess with the tank when it was OBVIOUS that they did. And I have the same question. Why would you take something out of someones' tank unless you had specific instructions to do so? Good luck on the breeding! Hopefully that will help take your mind off what happened, and cheer you up a bit. :)
Yeah, it does help. Doesn't totally make me forget. Those were my fish, you know. I like to take pride in my hobbies especially when those hobbies include keeping a living thing alive. It's kinda sad though, I was told all the females picked off the other fish. First off, I know that every single female scared of my CTMale. Why would he get picked off by the females. It didn't make sence and I don't think he would have done anything to the females. I have videos where he is just kind of cuddling next to one of me females.(When people say they have Koi look a like bettas they are lying. I had a Koi/betta and she was beautiful. It was like having a miniature koi fish. She had this dark line that went over her mouth and she always looked like she was smiling. It sucks cause I spent so much time making sure they were all happy. I spent so much time finding the right cage mates. My shark was beyond cool, was the perfect addition to my sorority.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 
LinkLover

No, I don't mean forget about them, just something to lift your spirits a bit. Cause I totally understand. I don't take pets dying very well either, I totally cry like crazy. Like I just lost a rescue fish, and was hysterical. It's hard when you care so much about them, and as you said put so much work into making them as happy as possible, and then they're gone. I've never had (but am thinking about trying) a sorority, so I can only imagine how much effort you put into getting the right fish to get along with each other. Hmm, from what you say there was more to the story than the females "suddenly" killing other fish.

Last edited by LinkLover; 04-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 
SeniorD

You know what, a sorority is definitely worth the effort. Like you said it's hard to find the ones that get along. My personal way of finding out is to just sit and watch them. If I notice one picking on another what I do is seperate it in a large net I have, let it sit in the center of the tank. Sort of like a punishment. I have found out this way that you can kind of teach them to not fight. I'm probably just being silly but my betta Koi, used to be really aggressive but I did that a few times every time I saw her dart at another one. Eventually she just stopped. Although I will say that this one she picked on a lot started to kinda, get back...at her. Haha, well I just did the same thing with that one. With the ones that, that wouldn't work with I sadly just exchanged them at the store. If I couldn't get them to not be aggressive by the end of the day I just tried my luck with a new one. I know it sounds bad. I wish I didn't need to return them, I just didn't want to wake up to any dead fish. Although I guess my current situation might be some kind of karma from the ones who got sent back. ^.^ Also I noticed that when you pick a female who has a sweet looking face they aren't really that aggressive. Don't totally listen to me, I'm probably wrong but this is just some things I noticed while finding my lost, perfect sorority.

My Gassy was a rescue too. He had that gas bubble disease really bad. It was right on his lip to the side next to his gills. When we first got him it was REALLY bad and we actually got it down from a hug bubble the size of both his eyes to a little speck.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 
LinkLover

You sound like you know what you're talking about to me! I can understand that you needed to give some back, sometimes it's what needs to be done. I don't think this is karma at all, maybe bringing the girls back made them less crabby so when someone else came along they were more gentle. :) But that is the reason I am iffy about trying a sorority, if there was one or more that didn't get along, I would have to get them their own tank (I couldn't handle taking them back). Then I wouldn't be able to take any more rescues. Gassy was a lucky fish to have someone who cares as much as you. I'm sure he was very thankful for everything you did, along with all your other fish. :)
Old 04-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #9 
Scope Eye

All you had to say was, I left my fish with my "Mother-In-Law." I'm waiting for mine to crash her broom into a tree one night.
Scope Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Wow...just because your wife wouldn't like it is no reason not to take her to task on that. You could do it politely and calmly, after all. I just do not think she should be allowed to get away with that, regardless of who she is. She needs a solid talking-to.

Poor you. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote