Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #11 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafeathers View Post
I have the 2.5 gallon mini bow for my betta. It's a good tank for the price. The back of the hood has a hole for chords for the heater (well I'd assume the heater) which, if you're paranoid about jumpers may make you a bit uneasy but I've never had issues. I found the filter to be too strong and put a bit of sponge around the intake (cut it into a square and "screwed" it on kinda) and also baffled the output part with sponge and it works great. I found the light increases the temperature too, which isn't a bad thing in cooler months - but i wouldn't ever leave it on for extended periods.

For a heater, I use the Elite 25 watt mini heater (for that and my 5 gal) and it works awesome. You have to find the sweet spot for it to fit out that hole in the hood but it works awesome.
does your solution for the intake baffle let the entire filter media get flooded?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #12 
Breezy79

@bettafeathers, I will definitely check out the heater, it sounds great.
@vilmarsv, thanks for the link, do the heaters still work good even if they are cheaper?@duluoz, I will let you know what I get for a heater and if it works for me :)
Breezy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #13 
wulfie

I also have a minibow 2.5 gallon tank. I'm going out today to get a new filter as well as a heater. The filter that comes with the tank just SUCKS imo, it covers 1/2 the bulb, blocking a lot of the light. So I'm gonna get me a Marina i25 internal filter as well as a Hydor Theo heater, probably pick up a CFL as well since I don't care for the incandescent bulb that comes with this tank, it makes my water almost look yellow
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #14 
Bettafeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
does your solution for the intake baffle let the entire filter media get flooded?
Nope, I've never had issues with the filter media being flooded. The sponge I have covering the intake and output is the Aquaclear brand filter sponge/foam, so it is rather porous.
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 
Betta Loco

Just wanted to pass along that I just changed my water on my 2.5 Mini Bow and now the light will no longer work. Luckily I have two tanks for two bettas but, once I switched the bulbs to check if it was the bulb, now both tanks won't work with either bulb!

I have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank (possibly a 10 with a divider) but, this is rather odd.
Betta Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #16 
Shadyr

I have a mini-bow 2.5 for Ghost, he of my icon. The flow with the filter unaltered was wayyyy too strong for a betta, so my solution was to just remove it completely. I replaced the standard bulb in the hood with a compact mini-flourescent 50/50 daylight/bluelight. I added in the submersible 10W heater and a thermometer on a suction cup. Next, gravel, decorations, treated water. And finally, Ghost

PS: This started out as a dual beta tank, it has a track on the inner rim that a divider slides into. I did have two betas in it, but the second one only lived for 3 days, and after more reading here, it seemed like it was best to leave it to just Ghost.

Name:  ghosttanks1280.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  81.3 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #17 
Stonehenge

I have the 2.5g Mini Bow as well. I don't use the lamp though as I bought a little 10w Aqueon submersible heater. I baffled the filter by picking up some Fluval foam and just inserting it into the intake pipe of the filter. The foam is porous enough to let the water and smaller particles through and good enough to catch the big stuff before it gets to the top. I also picked up some African Sword plants and an Anubis as well. I am using a standard LED desk lamp for the light source too.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #18 
Stonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
I also have a minibow 2.5 gallon tank. I'm going out today to get a new filter as well as a heater. The filter that comes with the tank just SUCKS imo, it covers 1/2 the bulb, blocking a lot of the light. So I'm gonna get me a Marina i25 internal filter as well as a Hydor Theo heater, probably pick up a CFL as well since I don't care for the incandescent bulb that comes with this tank, it makes my water almost look yellow
I had the same problem with the bulb ... which is why I switched to my LED desk lamp and scrapped the hood assembly. Once I get a flourecant bulb I will go back to the lamp hood.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #19 
wulfie

well, just got back from checking every LPS here and only thing I could find locally was the Marina i25 internal filter, so that's ONE plus, also scored me a CFL, had to order my Hydor Theo online though, will be here friday, then my little boy will be extremely happy, little boy being Posideon, my crowntail betta So only thing I'm missing for my setup is my heater, right now I got one of those 'preset' ones and a thermometer to monitor it
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #20 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafeathers View Post
Nope, I've never had issues with the filter media being flooded. The sponge I have covering the intake and output is the Aquaclear brand filter sponge/foam, so it is rather porous.
the water in my case doesnt even wet anything past an inch of the water input limiting homes for any sort of BB to 33% of possible capacity. the water doesnt even make contact with the remaing 66% of the filter media. though that doesnt bother me much, ial in the water so its not needed.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, fish tanks, mini bow aquarium