Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 
lilsey

Red Fish, Blue Fish... Sick Fish!

Hi there. I am hoping to get some help with one of my Bettas. Back in November my 2 kids were given a Red Betta and a Blue Betta as gifts. They started out their life in our care in 2 separate 2 gallon bowls with some gravel, plastic plants and decoration. From the beginning Red Fish thrived, was happy in the bowl, almost doubled in size has gorgeous long fins and made bubble nests. Blue Fish struggled and lost weight, started losing chunks of fin.

So... after doing some reading online we decided to move them to separate 5 gallon tanks. (We talked to the pet store, followed all the directions, etc.) Red Fish thrived in the new tank just like in the bowl. Blue Fish perked up for about a month, grew back some fin and then stopped eating pellets completely. We tried several brands. The only thing he now eats is Dried Blood Worms and not very much. He developed yellow spots. We moved him back to a small bowl and treated him with drops for a week, completely cleaned his aquarium and returned him to it. We were told the small tanks might not be warm enough on the counter with lights only so we added small heaters to both tanks.

Red Fish continues to thrive no matter what changes we make and Blue Fish constantly looks like he is dying. His tank get a yellow fuzz in it and gets murky and cloudy almost immediately after water changes, cleaning and most recently after a complete change and thorough scrub. His fins are starting to stiffen and they are very ragged. He is thin and does not eat much. As far as I can tell, both fish are in almost identical environments and one is thriving and one is barely hanging on. It makes us feel sad and frustrated. Taking care of these fish has been way more expensive and time consuming than I could have imagined but we've grown to enjoy them and I want to help Blue Fish. Is there anything else I can try?
lilsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Fill this out so we can better help you. :)

By the by: I would try to get him back on pellets ASAP because bloodworms don't have all the nutritional value that bettas need.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #3 
lilsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post

By the by: I would try to get him back on pellets ASAP because bloodworms don't have all the nutritional value that bettas need.
Do you have any tricks to do this? We have tried all the brands available to us and he just spits them out and lets them sink to the bottom, which of course makes the tank conditions worse and need more cleaning. He just keeps getting thinner and more sickly. We give him the BW out sympathy because it is the only thing he will eat, but even that is like a portion of one worm every other day or so.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I've heard soaking the pellets in garlic can get them to eat the pellets.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #5 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I've heard soaking the pellets in garlic can get them to eat the pellets.
+1 garlic juice/sauce whatever it's called can get them to eat.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 
lilsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post

Do you have any tricks to do this? We have tried all the brands available to us and he just spits them out and lets them sink to the bottom, which of course makes the tank conditions worse and need more cleaning. he just keeps getting thinner and more sickly. We give him the BW out sympathy because it is the only thing he will eat, but even that is like a portion of one worm every other day or so.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Hmmm. I see no mention of a heater or water temp. Betta are tropical fish and need water temps above 76F (25C) to thrive. Blue Fish's poor appetite could be attributed to cold (to them) water. The first thing I would try is getting them both a heater and a thermometer (because the thermostats that come on heaters aren't always reliable). Slowly bring the temps up to 78F (25C).

And also, welcome to the forum!!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #8 
lilsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Hmmm. I see no mention of a heater or water temp. Betta are tropical fish and need water temps above 76F (25C) to thrive. Blue Fish's poor appetite could be attributed to cold (to them) water. The first thing I would try is getting them both a heater and a thermometer (because the thermostats that come on heaters aren't always reliable). Slowly bring the temps up to 78F (25C).

And also, welcome to the forum!!
We do have heaters. The thermometer is a little hard to read but it ranges between 75-80F. I also have wondered if it is too warm because he did perk up in the week he was in the bowl with no heater but he was also being treated with drops at that time.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
xjenuhfur

What are these drops?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsey View Post
We do have heaters. The thermometer is a little hard to read but it ranges between 75-80F. I also have wondered if it is too warm because he did perk up in the week he was in the bowl with no heater but he was also being treated with drops at that time.
That is quite a large range some of which is uncomfortable for a betta. I would get a better thermometer. The floating glass ones from a local pet store should do. Those temp strips are very unreliable. They will look something like this:

Do you by chance have a reading for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote