Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #21 
betta lover1507

cause that's half corn, lol and i think good care and attention could change an attitude of a kingsnake
that pic is a california kingsnake
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

I agree. Snakes are featured in movies usually as the predator of people. And TBH, it does make a pretty good movie if done right. IMO big cats and other wild animals will only attack if they feel threatened or feel they are being infiltrated. Which all have been. Some given the name dangerous and some tame, but all in all, they are just animals and are doing whatever they can (instinct) to survive to produce better offspring and or survive at all. Nature works in amazing ways.

Anyway, past the insightful statements lol. Hog noses are really nice looking, but my mom would freak if I asked for that. Especially if they can potentially cause swelling. I think I'll stay away from any kind of poisonous snakes.

Yeah I know what you mean. Very good analogy, (Pitbulls) it all depends. I get what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Because society has put into people's brains that they're scary. Just with any other "fear" of other creatures. I don't find animals scary, because they aren't meant to be. It's nature, not a sci-fi movie. :P
--------------------------------------------------------------
BL2033:: You could also try a Hog Nose snake. Those tend to fake bite, but if actually bitten you may see a lot of swelling (they're semi-poisonous). But they're small snakes.

Snakes that bite really have nothing to do with the breed. It's like saying "oh all Pit Bulls like to rip people's faces off"...that's just completely untrue. Yes, some breeds tend to be more agressive than others (such as King snakes and some Boas). You should start off with a Corn :) They're much less inclines to bite people. The breeder who I got my snakes from is up in Cincinatti...so that might be a tad far for you, lol. I'd try going to any local Reptile shows. They're really fun and the breeders there sell for REALLY cheap. I got my sand boa there for $20, when in the petstore they're selling an adult female (who is never handled because she bites, and has been there for over 3 years) for over $100. @___@;
It's best to go to a show because the breeders there will let you handle everything- so your guaranteed to get a nice snake. :)
So far I think the best snake that would fit best with me would be a corn snake. I tend to jump when I'm holding lizards and they jerk a bit. I used to catch some small brown lizards when I was in Florida and they used to wiggle and everything, but when they bit (it didnt hurt because they didn't have teeth) I would jump and let it go. So basically pointing that I wouldn't really want to have the responsibility of pushing the food down. So I'll stay away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
A lot of small snakes that come to mind are mean...
Egg eating snake is small and toothless, but I've read that feeding can be a problem and you gotta force it down.
The one other small boa are Hogg island boa, they are gorgeous, but I think they can get up to 4' as well.
I'd go for a corn or milk snake...
Find a breeder, and ask for a male, males are often much smaller than females.
That's fantastic! I keep hearing very good things about going to reptile shows since they are cheaper and in the long run so much better than buying in stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i do agree with going to reptile shows for the animals. i could've taken a asian vine snake home for $30. didnt do so as i had no space, no ideas on care requirements and to tell the truth glad i didnt. vine snakes are picky, apparently intermediate level, wont take too well with rodents and prefer lizards as food. some breeders might not drop prices as willing as others, saw many cresties going for atleast $60 minimum.
I'm going to see if I can convince my mom to go. (Good Luck ( -_-) Yeah CodeRed is another member I was looking for most since they seemed to be fascinated with snakes as well. I'm sure they knew enough to contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think going to a reptile show would be a good thing to do. We had a member here, CodeRed who has 2 cornsnakes and an African house snake. Too bad she doesn't come to the forum anymore. She knows a LOT about snakes. I think she started out by going to reptile shows if I'm remembering correctly.
I love the albino snakes. All of them are really nice looking. Just very unique in their own ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
My daughter has an albino jungle corn (cross between king and corn). He is really nice and won't bite unless he is getting ready to shed. I think he bites at that time because he can't see very well, and only sees movement.
My personal favorites are the corn snake. They come in a LOT of beautiful colors.

I think that I'll go with a corn snake. They seem to be given the best name for a beginner pet. And are small enough for me to handle and such. Now the questions may become a bit more complex with feeding and the shedding periods. So I know that when a snake is shedding, it's best to leave it be and wait it out. As they shed. As feeding goes, how do I know when to feed it? How long does it take to digest it's food. I'm guessing that when owning any snake these are essential things that need to be known by the owner.

Are there any articles about Cornsnakes that anyone can provide? I'm willing to read and do my research, just I dont know what exactly It is I'm looking for.

I researched bettas by looking up betta breeding and found out how to tell sexes, color classifications, basic genetics, ect.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #23 
youlovegnats

It takes about 2 days for a snake to digest it's food. Sometimes it's less, but that all depends on heating. Also you don't want to handle it after feeding, as it might regurgitate it's food...nasty business. My middle school teacher had 2 corns as class pets and she let us take them out. She had apparently forgotten that she had fed them 3-4 mice about 12 hrs. earlier...poor thing threw up 4 half-digested mice all over my desk. xD
Anyways...
Corn's should be in 75*F with 80-85* on one side a cool area on the other. I just keep my lamp on during the day & turn it off at night. It gets to about 80 one the hot side and 70-73 on the cool side. Then it drops to 68-70 at night. They live around central areas of the US and can thrive in many different climates. :3 So they're an ideal first snake to own.
You only need to feed them once a week and the sizes of the mice should increase when they get bigger. You only need to feed them one mouse though.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #24 
bettalover2033

Thanks! That's perfect. I will just have to research a bunch more...my brain hurts already, but I got it.

So they are best kept with the light on all day and off at night. Thanks, youlovegnats!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #25 
youlovegnats

No problem!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #26 
bettafish15

An UTH (Under Tank Heater) is preferred, as they enjoy belly heat, and when they burrow (which they will) they will still be warm enough to digest their last meal. I'm getting a corn soon, I have the whole set-up. I've got a 48g tank, and everything I need but the mice and the corn. Oh, except for more screen clips, LOL! I would really advise that you go with the biggest tank you can fit in your room, because it saves you from buying a bigger setup later, and your future gaffer would appreciate it as it grows. I think go with the 20g long! Not tall, long. Hope I helped some!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #27 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Because society has put into people's brains that they're scary. Just with any other "fear" of other creatures. I don't find animals scary, because they aren't meant to be. It's nature, not a sci-fi movie. :P
--------------------------------------------------------------
BL2033:: You could also try a Hog Nose snake. Those tend to fake bite, but if actually bitten you may see a lot of swelling (they're semi-poisonous). But they're small snakes.

Snakes that bite really have nothing to do with the breed. It's like saying "oh all Pit Bulls like to rip people's faces off"...that's just completely untrue. Yes, some breeds tend to be more agressive than others (such as King snakes and some Boas). You should start off with a Corn :) They're much less inclines to bite people. The breeder who I got my snakes from is up in Cincinatti...so that might be a tad far for you, lol. I'd try going to any local Reptile shows. They're really fun and the breeders there sell for REALLY cheap. I got my sand boa there for $20, when in the petstore they're selling an adult female (who is never handled because she bites, and has been there for over 3 years) for over $100. @___@;
It's best to go to a show because the breeders there will let you handle everything- so your guaranteed to get a nice snake. :)
Lol the snake that slithered down my top and tried to bite me didn't seem to think I was scared of it...oddly I wasn't...till it slithered its way down my top!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #28 
bettalover2033

Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't want to have a 20 gallon ish for any kind of snake because it defeats the purpose of getting a snake in that tank or any other lizard/reptile.

About how long do they get? What is a healthy thickness they should be about?

Where did you start when first researching about them. What articles did you read? (if you remember).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
An UTH (Under Tank Heater) is preferred, as they enjoy belly heat, and when they burrow (which they will) they will still be warm enough to digest their last meal. I'm getting a corn soon, I have the whole set-up. I've got a 48g tank, and everything I need but the mice and the corn. Oh, except for more screen clips, LOL! I would really advise that you go with the biggest tank you can fit in your room, because it saves you from buying a bigger setup later, and your future gaffer would appreciate it as it grows. I think go with the 20g long! Not tall, long. Hope I helped some!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #29 
youlovegnats

Corns can get from anywhere to 3' to 5' in length. The healthy size (adult size) should be as round as a half-dollar.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #30 
bettalover2033

Okay. Perfect! Thanks.

Just another question, how would you go about heating the bottom of the tank? Without it being so hot or not hot enough?