Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #31 
thestompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
If you have no budget, why in the world are you breeding bettas? Do you have cultures to feed them, bbs, microworms, etc? Do you have over 100 jars/containers for each of the male fry when they get to the age and need to be separated? And also do you have homes ready for them and places for the fry to go when they reach the selling age?

If you answer no to any of those questions. Research more, don't breed.

Thanks for the advice.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #32 
thestompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
Here is a heater for a breeding tank, and even larger tanks if you want. Set the temperature on it to about 84.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B0006JLPFY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297178240&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 150W UL: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

The sponge filter is needed, because your fry need extremely clean water in order to survive. They also can't have a lot of water movement, which is why sponge filters work great.

This is the setup I have and it works excellent.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Fusion-Aquarium/dp/B0018CFMUW/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297178387&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Fusion Air Pump 200 Aquarium Air Pump: Home & Garden[/ame]

and

Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump - eBay (item 310271100226 end time Feb-13-11 00:12:17 PST)

This is basically what I have and it works excellent. The sponge filter each can be removed so you have good bacteria on one, while you rinse the other one off, so your tank stays cycled. That air pump is almost silent as well, it works great. As for water conditioner, good that you use it. May I also recommend indian almond leaves if your breeding. They induce spawning, and they are great bubble nest makers. My male builds his bubble nest under them all the time, he won't anywhere else. Good luck.

If you need help with them mating, ask someone else. I had trouble with mine, because I didn't condition them or introduce them properly. This is a must if you want them to spawn. As for betta care and stuff, I am pretty good with that. I might also recommend this siphon for changing your water. It makes it a breeze.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/biOrb-822728000250-Cleaner-Pump/dp/B000KHZ0X0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297178665&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: biOrb Cleaner Pump: Home & Garden[/ame]

Just don't suck up gravel with it, I did and it broke. I bought one on eBay which is basically the same thing.
Thanks pal. Thanks for many information you got for me. I will do research more.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #33 
EllaFish

SOOOOOOOO confuzed!
Right, here is my situation:
5.5 gal tank, divider in middle, male on each side. Only want to breed 1 male.
1.2 gal tank, 2 females, both making eggs but only breeding 1 at a time.
We are only going to keep a few eggs and put the fry in mason jars (pond water, live plants, right food, etc.) so they don't kill their siblings.
I am not going to make breeding a hobby, I just want to breed them this 1 time. I don't want to spend a lot of money on tanks for fry and breeding and whoknowswhat. Working with quart mason jars and the tanks listed above, how should I set up my fish and tanks for breeding??
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #34 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaFish View Post
SOOOOOOOO confuzed!
Right, here is my situation:
5.5 gal tank, divider in middle, male on each side. Only want to breed 1 male.
1.2 gal tank, 2 females, both making eggs but only breeding 1 at a time.
We are only going to keep a few eggs and put the fry in mason jars (pond water, live plants, right food, etc.) so they don't kill their siblings.
I am not going to make breeding a hobby, I just want to breed them this 1 time. I don't want to spend a lot of money on tanks for fry and breeding and whoknowswhat. Working with quart mason jars and the tanks listed above, how should I set up my fish and tanks for breeding??
You can breed successfully using either a clean 5gal bucket or one of those storage tubs that holds around 10-15 gal. You will need a heater, a sponge filter and perhaps a nearby lamp for light. I am using the "tub method" on my latest batch.

As you can see I have the Indian Almond leaf and the jar with the female in along with some java moss so the female can hide somewhat. Once the eggs hatch and the fry are free swimming I can fill the tub for their "grow out".
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #35 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
You can breed successfully using either a clean 5gal bucket or one of those storage tubs that holds around 10-15 gal. You will need a heater, a sponge filter and perhaps a nearby lamp for light. I am using the "tub method" on my latest batch.

As you can see I have the Indian Almond leaf and the jar with the female in along with some java moss so the female can hide somewhat. Once the eggs hatch and the fry are free swimming I can fill the tub for their "grow out".
This is the method I'm looking at. I have a nice pair, but am still gathering supplies and information. So much to know!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #36 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post

The jar that the female is in is one of the gallon sized containers that I learned from another member. They have them at wally world. The amazing thing is that they are made in America!!! I have been buying all I can find at 3 bucks each.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #37 
Ramble

Quote:
The jar that the female is in is one of the gallon sized containers that I learned from another member. They have them at wally world. The amazing thing is that they are made in America!!! I have been buying all I can find at 3 bucks each.
Great idea! I have one of those that I got at Target for 5 bucks. I'll add it to the breeding supplies.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #38 
Creat

I think the best thing I can offer is my list of supplies and advice:
First off breed fish that not just you will like. Personally I love HM but even with good parents not many of the fry come out HM so be prepared to cull. Also give it time nothing good happens fast including breeding but it will happen and dont rush them. Also I am glad you put thought before you decided to breed them even though at fist you scared me, and probably other people too.
My must have supplies:
20-25 gallon container- from walmart plastic and like stated wider is better then tall bigger tank can double for grow out (as fish grow they produce hormone into the water larger tank can hold and grow out more fry)
conditioner- my favorite is the API Stress Coat + i will swear by it
aq salt- nice to have in the water your fish will get injured, its rare if they dont the aq salt will help battle getting infections so they can continue being bred
IAL or Oak leaves- they are magic go collect some oak ones make sure they are dried and dont have pesticides just put them directly in the tub or tank
java moss- live plants are the best to have when breeding I think, personally go for java moss it can stand low light and no nutrients and is like bomb proof its also good for fry to hide in as well as the female
air stone
heat source- either the room should be 80* or the water and it should be constant, fluctuating temps can kill fry
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halfmoon bettas breeding