Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 
Fritz

Favorite Cycle Method

I'm am super excited because my new Petco Bookshelf just arrived in the mail. It's a 6.6 gallon so there will be a ton of room for my newest addition Rufio to swim around in. I've been researching how to cycle a tank and there are so many ways to start it. I was just wondering if you guys have a favorite.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 
Mo

Fishless cycle is the best way in My Opinion as you don't have to constantly worry about lethal ammonia amounts, it's usually takes a shorter amount of time compared to fish-in, the ammount ammonia content within the tank is easier to control, you don't have to worry about mold forming, as you would with raw shrimp Fishless cycle, and it causes virtually no stress on the fish, compared to a fish in as with a fish in cycle you would be constantly be introducing your fish into an environment with an unstable, and potentially reaching lethal amounts of ammonia.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E you can safely establish the nitrogen cycle on a filtered tank with the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes-With or without testing products at hand and it doesn't take any longer than the fishless method-that being about 4-8 weeks, however, with the fishless method you really need testing products at hand for daily testing to maintain the ammonia level. Using pure ammonia is ideal when doing the fishless method.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 
Fritz

So does that mean it's safe to go ahead and put him in the tank now?

Would once a week 50% water changes be ok?

It has a filter and a heater and it is filled with 5 1/2 gallons of water. It would be a much better situation for him I think because right now he is waiting in a 1/2 gallon with neither a heater or a filter in it. I'm just not sure if I should because most people are suggesting the fishless cycle .

I guess an uncycled tank would be ok because the one he is in now is uncycled, right?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
Kim

Pure ammonia and a fishless cycle for sure! Easy, clean, and best of all- no stressing out about fish living in ammonia water ;)

If I were you I'd get a larger container of some sort and a small heater and keep him in there until the tank cycles.

If you were going to put him in the 6.6 gallon right away 50% once a week won't cut it. You'll need to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily and do as many water changes as necessary to keep ammonia around .25 ppm (this will likely mean daily partial water changes).

Either way, post some pics when it's all set up :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 
Fritz

I do have a 2 gallon that I can put him in with a heater and I think I'm going to do that.

Just so I know, what are the pros and cons of keeping him in a small uncycled tank instead of putting him in the large tank that is trying to cycle? Is there more likely to be an ammonia spike in a tank that is trying to cycle? This is the first tank that I have ever considered cycling. I've done some research but I still don't know much. I really want him to be in the best environment and not harm him at all.

Can I put him in the big bookshelf tank and just not cycle it?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #7 
freemike

My favorite method is pure ammonia fishless cycling. I've had fish specifically Betta go through troubling times with cycling and others not. There really is no way of telling how much ammonia your fish will tolerate as it varies from fish to fish. I had to identical tanks running with similar ammonia levels during a fish in cycle and one fish did fine while the other I almost lost.

The good thing about putting him in a small 2 gallon heated tank is less maintenance on the cycling tank and not having to worry about the fish and ammonia levels. On the cycling tank you fill and treat it as you normally would and just watch the ammonia levels dosing appropriately. The only time you have to change the water is if it seems your cycle has stalled. Sometimes a water change will kickstart it again. I've only had that to happen once so far with the fishless cycle. The only bad part about it is you have to do the 2 50% and 100% changes, but really this is moot because you would likely be doing water changes with your bookshelf tank to manage the ammonia levels. I'm not saying it can't be done with the fish in method, but why risk stressing or even possibly losing a fish if you don't have to.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

In the 6.6gal filtered tank without testing products at hand.....to establish the nitrogen cycle with the Betta......

Water changes of twice weekly.......1-50% water only and 1-50% with light vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.

Without testing products the 50% water only change is the "safety net" change-the just in case you had a spike.....this water change needs to be done for about 5-6 weeks or if you can take your water to the pet shop at least weekly and have test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.....

The 50% with vacuum is the water change you need to do for the life of the system to maintain water quality.....

In about 4-5 weeks-give the filter media a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water and do this a couple of time a month thereafter to maintain good water flow.

Bettas don't produce as much byproduct as some may think-the fish food is usually what can cause the problems-try not to overfeed and remove any uneaten food within a reasonable time and you should be okay....

You will get the same ammonia spike in the 1-2gal temp container as you will in the 6.6gal...it just will take longer to be problematic in the larger volume of water......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote