Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Exclamation URGENT EMERGENCY fin damage! NEED replies ASAP!!

Recent additions to tank:
Mystery Snail
Marimo ball

Fish has had White spots on mouth and cottony eyes. I researched on it and thought it was Fungus or Ick so I have been using both medications and it cleared up. However, its fins got damaged in a 2-3 hour period or less. They were fine before then.

I URGENTLY need help! I need to go on a trip very soon in just a few hours no matter what and just as I was trying to get some sleep, I checked on my betta and thought to myself: Boy, since when did you turn into a crowntail bett- WHAT?! D:! My best friend in this house has been damaged by the tail and I FEEL LIKE A TOTAL IDIOT for whatever happened!

MOST IMPORTANT:
I was completely confident mystery snails get along with betta fish. I feel like such a dumb*** >_< so what I need is the BEST thing to do right now for the fish. I can go out in the morning when the stores open pronto to pick up whatever I need. I need replies ASAP because I have to go out on my trip in just a few hours...

*What are the best things to give to my buddy ASAP I can find at the store?

Things I have and want to know (how much?) to place in the container:
*100% natural blackwater extract
*Indian Almond Leafs - how many? The more the better??
*Ick guard
*Fungus guard
*Food - how much?
*Declorinator for new water if I bring the vase.

Should I leave my betta in this .5 gallon or less vase and for how long?
*Should I take it with me in this vase which I planned on doing on my road trip? :( He's really stressed out in a small container but is this best for him?

*What could have caused this???

Thank you for all your help, I NEVER want this to happen again :( he has no other fish pals in his tank and I don't know how he could have hurt himself...

----

What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? room temperature, been working on getting a heater. Roughly 72.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, always filtered.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, a tube for bubbles until I get the extension.
Is your tank heated? Not yet.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Mystery snail, Philipine Fern and marimo ball.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? All kinds of betta recommendations: flakes and pellets and sometimes bloodworms, house moth once a day/every other day frequently this month.
How often do you feed your betta fish? A tiny pinch daily and some days a house moth.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? More than once a week, since he's been sick I did daily 40% changes with medications.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Ick guard, fungus guard, blackwater extract and almond leafs.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? The sink water is perfect according to petco. Should I test it now?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins damaged.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's always active and acting the same :)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 10 drops of ick guard and fungus guard per change of water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes recently cottony eyes that cleared.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.

PLEASE leave ANYTHING you can for me I need sleep before my trip and I want to read whatever I can before I head off, i'm so sorry I can not reply D: so please do your best for him....

Last edited by LugiaChan; 04-27-2012 at 03:36 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #2 
LugiaChan

I added pieces of fresh pure aloe vera plant to aid its fin. Please let me know if this is a safe thing to do :) we grow live aloe plants and I did a bit of searching to find out people do use it: it's raised inside the house: no chemicals.

Edit: He's really mellowed out from the aloe, it's helping a lot ^_^

Last edited by LugiaChan; 04-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #3 
shadowpony

Tail Biter?

Do you know if hes a tail biter? They shred their tails like that when there stressed. It happens fast. Good luck.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #4 
Luimeril

looks like he shredded his fins on something, or bit his own tail. nothing too bad. just keep his water a little extra clean, don't need to add anything to his tank, except maybe a naturally dried oak leaf or Indian Almond Leaf.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote