Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 
dont4gettobreathe

Unhappy HELP - Transporting Bettas!

Hi, I'm going to be moving across country for 2 months. I will be driving for about 4 days from Missouri to Washington and then back again (2 mos later)and I don't know if I can bear to be without my Bettas for 2 months! Is there anyway I can take them in the car with me? I have 2 female Bettas that each have their own tanks when they are with me at home. I'm concerned about the vibrations in the car and the air temperature and whatnot and freaking them out with scenery change all the time. But I don't really have anyone here to take care of them. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
dont4gettobreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You can use jars with lids or used drinking bottles - 1-2 ltr filled half way. When ever you stop for the night, try feeding them. Then change 100% of their water.

It should be spring in your area, thus warm .... not sure. Anyway, if the air is warm, you won't need any heat packs. Simply wrap the bag with cloth (napkin, hanky, etc). This should be adequate - temperature wise and avoids out side/other betta view. Then put everything in a bigger bag/box or even in their empty tanks. Make sure that they can't roll or tumble.

The inertia shouldn't be a problem. Bettas get shipped across the globe with no problems. But if you're worried, you could hang everything in the car - don't let it lean on anything. This will reduce inertia.

If you think you won't be able to do water changes for what ever reason, fast them the day before you leave (to avoid pooping on the journey).

Good luck, drive safe, have a good journey.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I did it from Alaska to NY in wintertime which took 10 days. I left with 23 and ended up with 4 . We had an issue with an open back window hen it was -40 and my fish were right next to the window.

As long as they stay warm, they should be OK since you will be able to check on them at rest stops and such. I kept mine in their cups and ended up having to hold the survivors in front of the heater under several blankets due to the extreme cold in Alaska and the Yukon. However, i dont think that will be an issue for you this time of year.

Bring an eye dropper or something to take out old water and replace it with new water. I had all my fish stuff in a 2 gallon storage container and on the nights we did spend in a hotel, I let each of them out and let them swim around in it for about an hour each and then recupped them.

I also used amquel plus and krodon fish protector as I was told both were good to use for long distance shipping of fish. not sure if it really makes a difference but its worth a shot
did i mention I also had a dog and a chinchilla on this trip..

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-11-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
dont4gettobreathe

Wow! what a trip! haha. Thank you so much, guys! Great advice. I feel so much better! I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

you can use canning jars and get one of those heating pads .Will you stop at hotels? They may or may not let u keep fish with u but u will have to see. U will probably just have to hope :/ if not the tempertaure could fluxuate too much in the car.

i suggest one of those temporary pet heating pads as they will not have as many problems getting wet. they should be ok with the vibrations if they have a soft surface between them and the floor to absorb it.

if you will be going up and down alot of steep hills, maybe bags would be better than jars or go to petco and ask for those jars they keep bettas in, they will survive, if unhappily.

good luck! and u can read that how to ship bettas article and do that but keep them in ur car. u will have to change the heating pad tho and probably do water changes, and u can sneak the boxes into ur suitcase no prob for hotels ;) they will never no and u can do wtaer changes there
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #6 
dont4gettobreathe

thank you for the additional advice!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
dont4gettobreathe

I will be stopping at hotels but I don't think bringing them in will be an issue. I have no problem sneaking them by!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

There's a sticky on shipping bettas. Pack them like that for less stress and more safety regarding transportation.

Another note, this is a common question, can we please get a sticky on this topic?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

I think instead of making a whole new sticky the shipping betta thread should have a side bar as /Transporting Bettas-Long Distance, or something along those lines.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

yeah i agree
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driving, moving, transportation