Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #11 
Wolfie305

Oh okay good to know. I've been looking at him all day and getting worried I killed him or something D:
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #12 
Amphibianite

Just making sure because I skimmed thing here haha.
You do know that they require Distilled water or natural rain water. Other types of water have minerals and such in it that is bad for them. They only nutrient they should get are from the insects they eat.

Carnivorous plants are a passion of mine :P Not that I have many right now <_< >_> Just one huge pitcher plant with no pitchers on it O_o
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #13 
SpookyTooth

I absolutely love carnivorous plants as well! I mostly have pinguicula (butterworts) though, though I do have a couple of venus fly traps (typical and wacky traps) and sundews (most capensis). I'm glad to see more enthusiasts on here! :)
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #14 
Wolfie305

Amphibianite - Yes, I started collecting rain water for him yesterday (it finally poured) and I'll probably purchased some distilled water as back-up, just in case we don't get enough rain this season.

I just mixed in his new soil (peat moss and perlite - the non Miracle Grow or Scotts kind because those have chemicals/fertilizers) and repotted him. He's a little droopy from the repotting, but hopefully he'll perk back up soon. Any idea how long that usually takes?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #15 
SpookyTooth

It can take a couple of days to a few weeks. If the droopiness is a literal change in the position of the leaves it might be where the plant is trying to protect its rhizome in which case it'll sort itself out sooner rather than later, if it's more of a "sad looking" droop it could just be sulking from the repot in which case it may take a little longer as its roots adjust to the new soil and it acclimatizes. With the time of year it is you should find it recovers quicker.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Distilled water?! That's why mine died! -____-
I really want one of these again now that I know this. Will my aquarium light (that's for plants) provide benefits for the flytrap as well if it's beside the tank? :)
Sorry, hijacking the thread Wolfie. :3

Last edited by Olympia; 04-24-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #17 
SpookyTooth

It depends on the lumen output and the wattage, really. They require somewhat more intense lighting than aquarium plants - though they can thrive on a windowsill so I imagine aquatic plant lighting should be okay!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #18 
Wolfie305

You also have to remember that VFT's require a "dormancy" period during the winter season for 3-5 months. Basically, you stick your plant in a garage window or somewhere coldish (with light). They require less water during this period. Without putting your VFT into dormancy, its lifespan is greatly reduced.

Here is the forum I go on and the article about dormancy. There are a ton of other articles on there that are really helpful

http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-dormancy.html
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #19 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I know this is a very mature question (sarcasm, lol), but has it ever . . . bit you? lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #20 
lvandert

When I had mine it was recommended to be put in a terrarium for humidity. I had mine for a long time before something came along and ate it...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote