Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 
chicagojo

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about Syracuse. Rock-N-Roll is somehow still miraculously alive. When I got home from work yesterday he had perked up enough that I couldn't carry through with the euthanasia plan. I still think he's most likely nearing his end but if there are any more tips you learned from caring for Syracuse or your new little guy Scoop Jardine, please let me know. I am at a loss to figure out anything more to do for him (although I did reduce his water depth to just a couple of inches after reading this, and tipped some of his taller silk plants onto their sides so that he will have more places to hide and rest between the bottom and the surface). Thanks again for all your help before - I know for sure he would not still be here if not for the help I've gotten from these forums!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 
Sakura8

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...270&lmdn=Brand

This is the fake hairgrass plant that I used for Syracuse. When it floats on its side, the middle is hollow and Syracuse loved to just rest inside. I don't know if Rock-N-Roll would be interested but it's always worth a try.

For my handicapped betta who can't swim up, I use these in his tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...271&lmdn=Brand

They suction cup onto the bottom, making water changes easier. My handicapped betta will perch in them like a bird so he is close to the surface.

I hope Rock-N-Roll's passing is swift and suffering-free. You've done so much for the little guy and I know he appreciates all the love and care. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Just to share, our little Kris who has chronic SBD has actually gotten better since we put him in shallow water. He's been swimming for the last 3 weeks! Poor boy has such low body weight and needs some physical therapy, but now that he's swimming we'll work on that.

Sorry to hear about your boy Sakura :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #14 
Sakura8

I'm so glad it worked for Kris! That's great news. :D

Get him little weighted swim fins to work up some muscle. ;)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #15 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I hope Rock-N-Roll's passing is swift and suffering-free. You've done so much for the little guy and I know he appreciates all the love and care. :)
Thanks...I hope so too. Right now he is hiding in a plant similar to the hairgrass plant that you used with Syracuse and that is where he is spending much of his time since yesterday when I tipped it over sideways. Every so often he pokes out and has even eaten a little bit. I hope I'm not prolonging any suffering here, but since he's not as bad as he was I can't bring myself to speed his passing just yet...thanks for your kind thoughts for him.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I know how you feel. It's hard to know when enough is enough but I think if he's eating, he's still some spunk. I only REALLY worry when they won't eat anything. :/
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #17 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It's hard to know when enough is enough but I think if he's eating, he's still some spunk. I only REALLY worry when they won't eat anything. :/
My thoughts exactly (although I am far less experienced than you). Before last night, he hadn't eaten for a couple of days and was just laying at the bottom of the tank not really moving at all, so when he suddenly perked up a little last night I was shocked that he was even still alive because he is super-tiny and I just figured he couldn't go that long without food (not to mention air). Now that he is eating again and swimming around a little, including making it to the surface every so often, I can't give up on him just yet. Fortunately, the "crisis" of thinking he was at death's door prompted me to get a plan in place for helping him move on if I need to, and to have a chance to talk to my son about it (technically RNR is his fish, but since he's become so high-maintenance I've taken over much of the care). So now if it happens, at least I am better prepared.