Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #1 
4everaspirit

Petition to Stop Stores from Selling Fish Bowls?

I just saw a ton of people on different sites who keep their bettas in 1 gallon tanks or bowls and act like that is a good home for them and they will be happy. It makes me really frustrated inside.

I try to let people know that a 1 gallon tank or bowl isn't suitable for any fish and that it's a shame that pet stores even sell them.

Is there a way to get PetStores to stop selling betta bowls? Does anyone want to start a petition? I heard a rumor that betta bowls were outlawed somewhere, can't remember where though.

Something needs to be done <3 I don't really know how, but I could start some sort of a petition if I get enough support. ><((((>
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
lilyth88

Pet stores unfortunately sell things smaller than those bowls too. Those worry me more than the 1 gallons. Like those betta "bubbles" that go on your wall, where the betta barely has enough room to move around.

There are typically petition websites where you can circulate a petition that way.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
Pet stores unfortunately sell things smaller than those bowls too. Those worry me more than the 1 gallons. Like those betta "bubbles" that go on your wall, where the betta barely has enough room to move around.

There are typically petition websites where you can circulate a petition that way.
I know! I have heard people having .5 gallon bowls. o__O I didn't know they went that small. Yes, I was thinking of those petition websites. Hmmmm...like I said, it would be hard to get enough support but if I got enough, I would start something.

EDIT: I just checked out those betta bubbles too. That's even worse, dear god. Those poor dears don't even get a cave or really anything to hide in. They can only swim around in circles

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wb5L-s2nNjE/TA0sX5ijSHI/AAAAAAAADS0/d3i1U_***bo/s1600/betta+bubble+2.bmp[/IMG]

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

It's bad enough that they sell them in those small, dirty cups. I can't believe that people claim that they make bubblenests in them. But this?!?! My Betta had fin rot b-cuz of this!!! He's recovering though. They shouldn't make anything tank under 2.5 gallons.
Hmmm... We should spread the word 2 everyone about this who actually has a heart 2 care 4 them. Whoever made up the Betta Bubble and Bowls, Why?!?!?!
YOU R KILLING innocent fish that don't deserve 2 die!!! I think since female Bettas can live 2-gether, they should be in groups in REAL tanks. I REALLY feel bad 4 the males.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 
lilyth88

There is a video on youtube of a young girl's betta in a betta bubble entitled "How to Care for your Betta." In it she says the betta bowl is perfect for them, and that you should feed them 5-6 pellets twice a day. Apparently they don't need a heater or filter either and you should only change the water once a month. It's one thing to treat your own betta that way, but to make a video saying this is HOW to care for a betta? Disgusting. I let her have it too.

DISCLAIMER: The statements above are NOT how to care for your betta. Please do not misunderstand this post.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I have nothing aganist one gallons as long as water quality is kept up but this stupid thing is only .3 of a gallon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALUE-BETTA-...item2c64dbe49e
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
It's bad enough that they sell them in those small, dirty cups. I can't believe that people claim that they make bubblenests in them. But this?!?! My Betta had fin rot b-cuz of this!!! He's recovering though. They shouldn't make anything tank under 2.5 gallons.
Hmmm... We should spread the word 2 everyone about this who actually has a heart 2 care 4 them. Whoever made up the Betta Bubble and Bowls, Why?!?!?!
YOU R KILLING innocent fish that don't deserve 2 die!!! I think since female Bettas can live 2-gether, they should be in groups in REAL tanks. I REALLY feel bad 4 the males.
Glad to know you feel the same. Hey, I was thinking if, enough people give me the "go for." I WILL make an online petition and link everyone to it so that it can be signed and sent to the petstores. Sound awesome? Let our voices be heard.

For people that need a little refresher on the size of bowl tanks. Here are some.

Betta Bowls:

CUBES:

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 
SweetNightmare

To be fair, and please don't tar and feather me, it would not only be crazy expensive to give every pet store betta the proper aquarium, but it would take up a ton of space. I work for a pet store that changes the cup water every other day. If we see one doing badly, we stick it in a tetra tank, but we don't have enough space to put them all in tanks, unless you want them eaten by cichlids.

Now the less than 1 gallon bowls, I agree. But I think that a gallon, in a pinch, can be made to work, as long as it is kept clean.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have nothing aganist one gallons as long as water quality is kept up but this stupid thing is only .3 of a gallon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALUE-BETTA-...item2c64dbe49e

Hmmm, aren't bowls generally like .5 ? I think I could leave out the one gallon and focus more on the bowls and under 1 gallons. Though one gallons can still be fairly small. Though I must admit, those cubes and .3 gallons are simply ghastly.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #10 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
To be fair, and please don't tar and feather me, it would not only be crazy expensive to give every pet store betta the proper aquarium, but it would take up a ton of space. I work for a pet store that changes the cup water every other day. If we see one doing badly, we stick it in a tetra tank, but we don't have enough space to put them all in tanks, unless you want them eaten by cichlids.

Now the less than 1 gallon bowls, I agree. But I think that a gallon, in a pinch, can be made to work, as long as it is kept clean.
I'm not gonna tar and feather you. It's nice that you put your experience out there. I still hate anything less than 5 gallons honestly, but I understand what you mean. Would it be suitable for stores to only have over 1 gallon tanks in stock on there shelves? I think they could manage.

Hmmm does your store sell less than 1 gallons? I'm TRYING to figure out what would be the best way to petition and what exactly I would want to target.

Should I target the selling of less than 1 gallon tanks? Or should I target betta bowls, 1 gallon tanks and anything under as well?