Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #11 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
There is a video on youtube of a young girl's betta in a betta bubble entitled "How to Care for your Betta." In it she says the betta bowl is perfect for them, and that you should feed them 5-6 pellets twice a day. Apparently they don't need a heater or filter either and you should only change the water once a month. It's one thing to treat your own betta that way, but to make a video saying this is HOW to care for a betta? Disgusting. I let her have it too.

DISCLAIMER: The statements above are NOT how to care for your betta. Please do not misunderstand this post.
That's horrible. I don't think letting her "have it" is exactly the mature thing to do though. Express your concern politely usually gets a better response. I'm glad people are getting passionate over this though :)
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #12 
SweetNightmare
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
We sell .5 gallons as well. Unfortunately, we sell a lot of them. We have really cute 1 and 2 gallons we display up front with the bettas, so I try to show them those if they're not open to a normal aquariums. And I always tell them about my ten gallon.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #13 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
We sell .5 gallons as well. Unfortunately, we sell a lot of them. We have really cute 1 and 2 gallons we display up front with the bettas, so I try to show them those if they're not open to a normal aquariums. And I always tell them about my ten gallon.

Good to know. So....hmm if I did make a petition would it be better to focus on only things under 1 gallon, or focus on things both 1 gallon and under 1 gallon? I would really much prefer bettas to have at least a 2.5 gallon, which is what this site and most experienced betta owners know should be the minimum.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
I think one of the reasons petstores push tiny bows is because people are more willing to spend $5 on a tiny home for $2 fish then they are to spend $25 or more for the larger tank set ups. Remeber to most people, bettas "are just cheap fish" >.<

Have you seen those tiny things petco pushes as greeat homes for BABY bettas?

I would focus on tanks under 1 gallon. Although 1 gallon isn't great, its much better then some of these much smaller homes. At least 1g can be heated and have some decorations in it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #15 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I think one of the reasons petstores push tiny bows is because people are more willing to spend $5 on a tiny home for $2 fish then they are to spend $25 or more for the larger tank set ups. Remeber to most people, bettas "are just cheap fish" >.<

Have you seen those tiny things petco pushes as greeat homes for BABY bettas?

I would focus on tanks under 1 gallon. Although 1 gallon isn't great, its much better then some of these much smaller homes. At least 1g can be heated and have some decorations in it.
Okay, sounds like a good plan, or at least a stepping stone for better animal welfare. So......would people support me if I made a petition? o__O I have never made one before so it would take a little learning o_o
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #16 
SweetNightmare
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Some of the one gallons actually have a decent amount of room, due to having good surface area. A footprint is just as important as gallonage. For example, there's a two gallon at my store that I feel gives one of our bettas more room than Sora's old 2.5. Just a thought.

Also, our bettas are sold for four or five dollars, depending on the tail shape. A little more of an adoption fee to encourage people to take care of them.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #17 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
Some of the one gallons actually have a decent amount of room, due to having good surface area. A footprint is just as important as gallonage. For example, there's a two gallon at my store that I feel gives one of our bettas more room than Sora's old 2.5. Just a thought.

Also, our bettas are sold for four or five dollars, depending on the tail shape. A little more of an adoption fee to encourage people to take care of them.
Would you mind telling me what brands your store sells of the under 1 gallon tanks? It would be great if you could link me to the brands site too.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #18 
BettaFishLuver
New Member
 
BettaFishLuver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
It's sad to see how many people buy such tiny bowls! My friend just bought a 0.5 gallon a couple days ago and called me wondering why her betta died. Sadly she has a betta in 1.2 gallon already but never cleans the tank and only feeds her betta dried brine shrimp (which is a "treat" if I'm not mistaken) luckily I convinced her to buy at least a 10 gallon but she isn't going to move her other betta from her 1.2g because someone told her bettas will die in anything bigger than 5g! She wants to put a freshwater shark in the 10g -_- !!
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #19 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishLuver View Post
It's sad to see how many people buy such tiny bowls! My friend just bought a 0.5 gallon a couple days ago and called me wondering why her betta died. Sadly she has a betta in 1.2 gallon already but never cleans the tank and only feeds her betta dried brine shrimp (which is a "treat" if I'm not mistaken) luckily I convinced her to buy at least a 10 gallon but she isn't going to move her other betta from her 1.2g because someone told her bettas will die in anything bigger than 5g! She wants to put a freshwater shark in the 10g -_- !!
Oh dear. You should link her to this site and the betta care page. Bettas will die in anything larger than 5 gallon? LoL what? I have seen some people give 1 betta a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon tank all to themselves....yeah. I'm sure they are having a blast with all their room too.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #20 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
I agree with U, 4everaspirit. You SHOULD make an online petition. But how r U going 2 make anyone see it??? Whenever u post something, tell them about the website. But make sure it's legal 2 make a website that a certified pet Store is doing something wrong. You DON'T want 2 go 2 jail do U??? And make sure, if you DO make the website, add a link 2 what Betta care actually is. You could also add the video of Betta Abuse by Luimeril. Careful with the copyright.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White/clear slime on top of fish bowls? Jrf456 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 8 08-05-2011 05:22 PM
Upgrading from standard fish bowls.. need advice. 1fish2fish Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 12 07-10-2011 11:02 PM
Can betta fish live in bowls? carlei120 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 11 06-25-2010 11:13 AM
Hanging fish bowls? Kelou4 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 12-29-2009 12:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.