Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #11 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
There is a video on youtube of a young girl's betta in a betta bubble entitled "How to Care for your Betta." In it she says the betta bowl is perfect for them, and that you should feed them 5-6 pellets twice a day. Apparently they don't need a heater or filter either and you should only change the water once a month. It's one thing to treat your own betta that way, but to make a video saying this is HOW to care for a betta? Disgusting. I let her have it too.

DISCLAIMER: The statements above are NOT how to care for your betta. Please do not misunderstand this post.
That's horrible. I don't think letting her "have it" is exactly the mature thing to do though. Express your concern politely usually gets a better response. I'm glad people are getting passionate over this though :)
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #12 
SweetNightmare

We sell .5 gallons as well. Unfortunately, we sell a lot of them. We have really cute 1 and 2 gallons we display up front with the bettas, so I try to show them those if they're not open to a normal aquariums. And I always tell them about my ten gallon.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #13 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
We sell .5 gallons as well. Unfortunately, we sell a lot of them. We have really cute 1 and 2 gallons we display up front with the bettas, so I try to show them those if they're not open to a normal aquariums. And I always tell them about my ten gallon.

Good to know. So....hmm if I did make a petition would it be better to focus on only things under 1 gallon, or focus on things both 1 gallon and under 1 gallon? I would really much prefer bettas to have at least a 2.5 gallon, which is what this site and most experienced betta owners know should be the minimum.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 
Tikibirds

I think one of the reasons petstores push tiny bows is because people are more willing to spend $5 on a tiny home for $2 fish then they are to spend $25 or more for the larger tank set ups. Remeber to most people, bettas "are just cheap fish" >.<

Have you seen those tiny things petco pushes as greeat homes for BABY bettas?

I would focus on tanks under 1 gallon. Although 1 gallon isn't great, its much better then some of these much smaller homes. At least 1g can be heated and have some decorations in it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #15 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I think one of the reasons petstores push tiny bows is because people are more willing to spend $5 on a tiny home for $2 fish then they are to spend $25 or more for the larger tank set ups. Remeber to most people, bettas "are just cheap fish" >.<

Have you seen those tiny things petco pushes as greeat homes for BABY bettas?

I would focus on tanks under 1 gallon. Although 1 gallon isn't great, its much better then some of these much smaller homes. At least 1g can be heated and have some decorations in it.
Okay, sounds like a good plan, or at least a stepping stone for better animal welfare. So......would people support me if I made a petition? o__O I have never made one before so it would take a little learning o_o
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #16 
SweetNightmare

Some of the one gallons actually have a decent amount of room, due to having good surface area. A footprint is just as important as gallonage. For example, there's a two gallon at my store that I feel gives one of our bettas more room than Sora's old 2.5. Just a thought.

Also, our bettas are sold for four or five dollars, depending on the tail shape. A little more of an adoption fee to encourage people to take care of them.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #17 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
Some of the one gallons actually have a decent amount of room, due to having good surface area. A footprint is just as important as gallonage. For example, there's a two gallon at my store that I feel gives one of our bettas more room than Sora's old 2.5. Just a thought.

Also, our bettas are sold for four or five dollars, depending on the tail shape. A little more of an adoption fee to encourage people to take care of them.
Would you mind telling me what brands your store sells of the under 1 gallon tanks? It would be great if you could link me to the brands site too.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #18 
BettaFishLuver

It's sad to see how many people buy such tiny bowls! My friend just bought a 0.5 gallon a couple days ago and called me wondering why her betta died. Sadly she has a betta in 1.2 gallon already but never cleans the tank and only feeds her betta dried brine shrimp (which is a "treat" if I'm not mistaken) luckily I convinced her to buy at least a 10 gallon but she isn't going to move her other betta from her 1.2g because someone told her bettas will die in anything bigger than 5g! She wants to put a freshwater shark in the 10g -_- !!
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #19 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishLuver View Post
It's sad to see how many people buy such tiny bowls! My friend just bought a 0.5 gallon a couple days ago and called me wondering why her betta died. Sadly she has a betta in 1.2 gallon already but never cleans the tank and only feeds her betta dried brine shrimp (which is a "treat" if I'm not mistaken) luckily I convinced her to buy at least a 10 gallon but she isn't going to move her other betta from her 1.2g because someone told her bettas will die in anything bigger than 5g! She wants to put a freshwater shark in the 10g -_- !!
Oh dear. You should link her to this site and the betta care page. Bettas will die in anything larger than 5 gallon? LoL what? I have seen some people give 1 betta a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon tank all to themselves....yeah. I'm sure they are having a blast with all their room too.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

I agree with U, 4everaspirit. You SHOULD make an online petition. But how r U going 2 make anyone see it??? Whenever u post something, tell them about the website. But make sure it's legal 2 make a website that a certified pet Store is doing something wrong. You DON'T want 2 go 2 jail do U??? And make sure, if you DO make the website, add a link 2 what Betta care actually is. You could also add the video of Betta Abuse by Luimeril. Careful with the copyright.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote