Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #21 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Instead of aiming at petstores, why not send the petition to the manufactures of these tiny bowls?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #22 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I agree with U, 4everaspirit. You SHOULD make an online petition. But how r U going 2 make anyone see it??? Whenever u post something, tell them about the website. But make sure it's legal 2 make a website that a certified pet Store is doing something wrong. You DON'T want 2 go 2 jail do U??? And make sure, if you DO make the website, add a link 2 what Betta care actually is. You could also add the video of Betta Abuse by Luimeril. Careful with the copyright.
I was just going to use change.org or Care2.com to start a petition and then link it all back to you. I kinda of do want to also target the betta bowls. Some are under 1 gallon(.5), but some are also at one gallon.( There are very few you can get for 2.5 gallon) I'm debating whether to include the ones that are at 1 gallon in the petition.

I don't see anything illegal about expressing my concern, I'm not slandering the pet store, I'm merely requesting improvements.

LOL I can't make a website worth anything, I'm okay with using one of the sites I mentioned above though to make a petition. Anyone one know which one is better?

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #23 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Just a heads up, you can stop the stores from selling them, but it would be really hard to reach the people that think bettas enjoy small spaces and don't need a heater. The example is set by the petstore keeping them in cups unheated. You should include on the petition, if possible, to keep bettas on a heated environment. May it be betta barracks or a system that they have water flowing through their space, kind of like some breeders have. Doing that can also influence people that they should have heaters. Petstore employees should tell people they need heaters though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #24 
Aside
New Member
 
Aside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I think that stores selling one gallons might actually be good for bettas so long as proper care instructions are given. I don't mean that a one gallon is ideal but I think that if taken care of properly it can make a suitable home. Granted I'm completely new to bettas.

I think that People are more likely to buy a betta with a one gallon bowl than in a 5+ gallon tank. And while it's not ideal I think that we can agree that it is better than them living the rest of their short lives in those little pet store cups.

I do however think something needs to be done about the smaller tanks. The petco near me where I bought my fish was selling .5 gallon tanks with a divider. While The 'fish expert' said they didn't recommend those it wasn't because of the size but because the divider was made in such a way that the fish could get through them. This is the same guy who tried to stop me from buying a two gallon tank the next day because "Betta fish don't do well in larger tanks and you don't need a heater"

While I think the tank size is important I think what is more important for the Betta's lives is actually educating the store people on proper care. I think that a betta would be better off in a .5 gallon with an owner that understands water quality, changes water frequently, feeds the right amount, and knows how to look for signs of illness than in a 5 gallon getting fed a couple times a week (that is what I was told) and getting its water changed one a month.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #25 
SweetNightmare
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
No idea. They're just general glass bowls. Except for these:

http://www.petco.com/product/111197/...ttaHPFishTanks

This one I've seen in person and isn't so bad, you could fit a heater and some decor in it, but it should be bigger. If it were two gallons the lid would make it awesome.

http://www.petco.com/product/106657/...ttaHPFishTanks

No salvaging this one. -.- I hate this one.

Sorry about the petco links, we don't have an online catalogue.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #26 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Just a heads up, you can stop the stores from selling them, but it would be really hard to reach the people that think bettas enjoy small spaces and don't need a heater. The example is set by the petstore keeping them in cups unheated. You should include on the petition, if possible, to keep bettas on a heated environment. May it be betta barracks or a system that they have water flowing through their space, kind of like some breeders have. Doing that can also influence people that they should have heaters. Petstore employees should tell people they need heaters though.
I see your point. But I think tackling one thing at a time would be better. I don't see how stores could heat the cups they sell the bettas in. They would have to get tanks for all the bettas they have and keep them heated. (Which would be nice, but I highly doubt they would. Space is money to them.)
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #27 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
No idea. They're just general glass bowls. Except for these:

www.petco.com/product/111197/Marina-Betta-Kit-in-Burgundy.aspx?CoreCat=BettaHPFishTanks

This one I've seen in person and isn't so bad, you could fit a heater and some decor in it, but it should be bigger. If it were two gallons the lid would make it awesome.

www.petco.com/product/106657/Hagen-Zen-Marina-Betta-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=BettaHPFishTanks

No salvaging this one. -.- I hate this one.

Sorry about the petco links, we don't have an online catalogue.
It's okay. That 1/2 gallon looks like the biggest 1/2 gallon I have ever seen O.O? I really wonder if that could possibly be a 1/2 gallon. Maybe it looks smaller in person.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #28 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aside View Post
I think that stores selling one gallons might actually be good for bettas so long as proper care instructions are given. I don't mean that a one gallon is ideal but I think that if taken care of properly it can make a suitable home. Granted I'm completely new to bettas.

I think that People are more likely to buy a betta with a one gallon bowl than in a 5+ gallon tank. And while it's not ideal I think that we can agree that it is better than them living the rest of their short lives in those little pet store cups.

I do however think something needs to be done about the smaller tanks. The petco near me where I bought my fish was selling .5 gallon tanks with a divider. While The 'fish expert' said they didn't recommend those it wasn't because of the size but because the divider was made in such a way that the fish could get through them. This is the same guy who tried to stop me from buying a two gallon tank the next day because "Betta fish don't do well in larger tanks and you don't need a heater"

While I think the tank size is important I think what is more important for the Betta's lives is actually educating the store people on proper care. I think that a betta would be better off in a .5 gallon with an owner that understands water quality, changes water frequently, feeds the right amount, and knows how to look for signs of illness than in a 5 gallon getting fed a couple times a week (that is what I was told) and getting its water changed one a month.
A .5 gallon is NOT suitable AT ALL, I don't care how well the tanks are maintained.. As I said, this site and most experienced betta owners know the minimum to be a 2.5 for a betta to thrive. Sure a betta could live in a .5 gallon with proper care and cleanings and what not, but just as well could a human live in a closet with feedings and cleanings.

People that say that betta won't do well in bigger tanks boggles my mind. It's like they are trying to defend keeping bettas in small tanks because they probably feel guilty for doing so. Anyone with a logical sense can see how that DOESN'T make sense.

That said, people with the knowledge to know that a betta needs around a 5 gallon tanks, would also MOST LIKELY know how to take care of them properly.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #29 
SweetNightmare
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
A friend of mine and her mother have a pink and a purple for their bettas. It's about three bettas long; it is quite large for a half gallon. Like I said, just a little bigger and it'd be great. It's a really cute little tank, but it's just too small. The concept is good though.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #30 
4everaspirit
Member
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I'm so confused. Apparently Italy and Sweden have banned betta bowls so I was going to use that to help my argument. But if we are really getting at the tanks under 1 gallon, that would be hard because some while a lot of bowls are .5 gallons, some bowls are 1 gallon, and a very few are a 2+ gallon. It would be weird to want the banning of the betta bowls under 1 gallon "only". I'd rather just ban the whole lot of them. O__O But the counter argument is always that "some" bowls are a 2 gallon + size.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 01:13 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White/clear slime on top of fish bowls? Jrf456 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 8 08-05-2011 06:22 PM
Upgrading from standard fish bowls.. need advice. 1fish2fish Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 12 07-11-2011 12:02 AM
Can betta fish live in bowls? carlei120 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 11 06-25-2010 12:13 PM
Hanging fish bowls? Kelou4 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 12-29-2009 01:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.