Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #1 
reiomi

Exclamation i thinke my little one is sick, help please?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75 to 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none for now plan to by conditioner soon

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his color is lighter a bit.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he keeps staying at the bottom of his tank only to come up for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? had him for about a month now, his side fin is stuck to his skin also i think he has fin rot. i added a little salt to his water and that got his fin moving better already but he still keeps laying down. i also saw red line on him, it looks like a scratch. has white spots on his skin (had them when i first got him i thought they were part of his coloring) it maybe an infection i really dont know. please help Naru he is my baby and i love him. thankyou in advance
Attached Images

reiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #2 
reiomi

Exclamation a piece of his tail came off!!! help!!!!

when he moved a little bit tiny pieces of his tail came off!! scared, what should i do!!!???
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #3 
Twilight Storm

First what kind of salt did you add to the water?

Dechlorinator is kind of a "must have" when you have a fish. You can "age" water to remove the chlorine until you can get dechlorinator. Water strait from the tap is poisonous to fish. (There are exceptions but this is assuming that you have city water.) If you have another large gallon bowl fill it up with water now. (make sure it is rinsed out well) Let the water sit for at LEAST 24 hours. (I think! Someone can verify this?) This will remove the chlorine. You will likely need this water soon for a treatment for your fish. At the very least you will need to keep this bowl (or a couple) going until you can get dechlorinator. (hopefully tomorow.. err today since it is 2am my time LOL)
This product also removes other harmful chemicals and in some cases heavy metals in the water making it safe almost instantly for fish right out of the tap.

Tempature is important too the water should be 78-80 oF. If you can move him to a warm place in your house out of drafts. Try to get a small heater about 10 watts made for small tanks. An adjustable one is best so you can set the correct temp. (I personally would recommend you NOT get the round zoo med pad, some people here like it, but it almost killed my fish, i went away for a couple hours came back and the pad had the temp in the tank almost to 90 degrees.

P.S. Sorry if you know this information already. I know you stated your aquarium temp. I was just reminding you to keep the temperature stable. That is most important. If the temp swings like the room gets cold at night, the water will cool down making it harder on his immune system and his problems will likely get worse. Fin rot with "melted" or "glued" fins might need medication. Salt treatment is a good start with fin rot but NEED to know what kind of salt you are using.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 04-27-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: P.S
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 
reiomi

thankyou for the information, but he died this morning. he was a walmart fish so his immune system probably wasn't that good already. im getting a new fish from a pet store soon so ill use the information you gave me for the new beta. thanks again!!! ^^
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

Sorry for your loss, and really sorry that I was answering your post at 2am I had a hard time thinking strait so it took me a long time to type :(
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 
reiomi

Smile

i miss him but hes in a better place now, i have a new beta now (unamed so far) and i love him just asmuch as i loved naru. and don't worry about the time you posted, i made this thread at 12 o clock. ^^; thanks again for posting, no one else was willing to help except you so thankyou.

Tags
fish, help me!!!!, sick