Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #1 
dman

Female

Another curious question, how do you know if the female is old enough to spawn? I recently bought a female betta, and comparing her to my other female betta she is tiny. My other female betta is about the size of a male. So I was wondering if this new betta is still to young spawn, or is she just naturally small?
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 
lvandert

I would give her 2-3 months to be on the safe side. Generally when you buy a "breeding ready" female off of aquabid their 3-4 months old. When you get them from a pet store you obviously don't know the age. Picking the smallest one is a good way to get a young one, but then you have no idea what age she is.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Is there a possible way that you can take a picture for comparison?

I usually wait until my females are about 1.7-1.9 inches because by then they are of appropriate size. Age varies a lot when raising fry. Some breeds are unable to have them adult size by then so some may be stunted.

I'd just wait until she is the size of your other female depending on the comparison. If you could get a good enough picture of them together (have one of the females in some kind of cup).
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Another curious question, how do you know if the female is old enough to spawn? I recently bought a female betta, and comparing her to my other female betta she is tiny. My other female betta is about the size of a male. So I was wondering if this new betta is still to young spawn, or is she just naturally small?
Where did you buy her? Is she breeding quality?
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

if you "just bought" her give her a month to get ready :)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I have 1.5 inch females over one year old still breeding. It depends. You want to breed them at around four or five months and they can spawn until their health shows otherwise. Some breeders can spawn two year old fish :O But spawns with older fish seem to produce more deformities :/
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

^^ your always right XP
but if you wanna breed her and if she is already 4 months or something i guess you'll have to have a small male.
i got my HM female "Cookie" she was small when i got her, and the seller/breeder told me she was 5 months 0-o like wow, and was ready to breed. but she wasn't chunky then.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
^^ your always right XP
but if you wanna breed her and if she is already 4 months or something i guess you'll have to have a small male.
i got my HM female "Cookie" she was small when i got her, and the seller/breeder told me she was 5 months 0-o like wow, and was ready to breed. but she wasn't chunky then.
I am not in compliance with the "breed only same sized fish" law here. I have just breed my huge female with a smaller male and had no problem.... A result of questioning everything I suppose? Love does not know size. hehe. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'3"....
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #9 
dman

Unfortunately I dont have a camera right now, she's a melano female(well thats what the breeder told me) about 1.4-1.5 inches? and the other hm red female is about 1.8 - 2 inches. My melano male is around 2to2.3 inches he is huge compared to my other males. So I was wondering if my small female and giant male would be okay
dman is offline   Reply With Quote