Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #11 
Fabian

The anal of those killifish will form cups and the eggs will be stored in it.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #12 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
The anal of those killifish will form cups and the eggs will be stored in it.
Maybe other types of killifish... But not medaka. They carry the eggs for a few hours and then stick them onto something. They aren't even really killifish - supposedly they were misclassified because they look like killifish and carry eggs. They have been grandfathered in as honorary killi.

If her eggs are gone, they were stuck on something and eaten.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I was so excited to see one of my daisy's rice fish carrying eggs and I had hoped if I put a spawning mop in I could save some. Turns out from the looks of things all of mine may be female. One of them was also a pygmy perch, don't know how he snuck in!

My medaka have shown no signs of carrying eggs at all, but then again if they did they would be eaten pretty quick by my blue-eyes. They are only living in that tank for a few months and then they can have a tank to themselves in my fish room.

Have you got any photos of what kind of habitat your medaka come from Tamyu? I love setting up biotope style tanks but sometimes it can be difficult to find good resources online.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #14 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

My medaka have shown no signs of carrying eggs at all, but then again if they did they would be eaten pretty quick by my blue-eyes. They are only living in that tank for a few months and then they can have a tank to themselves in my fish room.
If they are stressed at all they won't lay eggs... But if they did, I think you would notice. They lay them in the morning and carry them around for at least five or hours. Those carrying eggs are pretty protective of them and will keep their distance from other fish.

Mine laid eggs again, but she seems to not know how to stick them to things properly and keeps letting them fall off to the substrate where I can't find and retrieve them. She is the largest of the females but still pretty small, so I am guessing she is still a juvenile getting used to spawning.

Another thing - they can be picky about water and food for spawning. It is really easy for me to keep them as my water is in their normal range. I also use special medaka water conditioner, medaka vitamin and mineral supplement, keep them in a tank designed for medaka, and have special medaka soil and gravel in the bottom... Oh, and also feed them special medaka formula. So they are are very spoilt.

Quote:
Have you got any photos of what kind of habitat your medaka come from Tamyu? I love setting up biotope style tanks but sometimes it can be difficult to find good resources online.
Hmm, I don't have any in water pictures... I plan to head back this weekend to see if I can catch a pair of tiny goby. Last time I only found one, but they are social so I put it back. Once I put one in my aquarium, I would be stuck with it... And if I never found another it would live a very lonely life. So this time I will cross my fingers that I can catch two or three.
I will try to take some photos of the location and see if I can get some that show into the water well.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #15 
Tamyu

So far I have been able to collect about eight of her eggs off of the substrate and branches in the tank. I don't know how many of them are fertilized, but at least a few are (I spotted eyes!)

I haven't had a chance yet to go out and take pics yet, so here is a photo I found of a similar location. Medaka live in places like this:

They live in the rice paddies when they are filled with water, and hang out in the small agricultural streams when they drain the rice paddies. I caught mine in a stream between rice paddies.

There is a medaka museum fairly close to me - this is their biotope setup (looks almost exactly like my tank... Except I have white substrate that supposedly helps keep the water perfect for medaka.):

And... Medaka in their native environment - the rice paddy.

Last edited by Tamyu; 04-30-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Here's my current medaka/blue-eye set-up

I'm going to be doing some biotope style tanks for my Aussie natives (you can see my rainbowfish tank to the left) so their habitat looks fairly similar to what I had in mind.

I hate all these places you can pull decent fish out of ditches and rivers. Here all we seem to get is useless carp and pest mosquito fish. Too far south to get the tropicals they get up in the north.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #17 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Here's my current medaka/blue-eye set-up
Taking a look, it might actually be too much vegetation for them. They like to hang out in open areas, and will only really retreat to plants when scraping their eggs off. I have about a quarter of my tank planted, and they almost never go into them unless they are chasing after sinking food. They are also always out in the open when you see them in the wild. They will hide under floating plants, but they don't go into anything dense. Reedlike stems are more their type of vegetation. They actually seem to go out of their way to avoid anything with large leaves.

Quote:
I hate all these places you can pull decent fish out of ditches and rivers. Here all we seem to get is useless carp and pest mosquito fish. Too far south to get the tropicals they get up in the north.
Hahaha... To me, medaka are pretty darned boring when it comes to fish as, well, I can pull them out of ditches. They are really similar to betta when you think about it, as they live in similar conditions (the still or barely moving water of rice paddies and the related ditches and waterways) just in a much much cooler climate.
If betta are the national fish of Thailand, then medaka are the national fish of Japan. They are seriously everywhere here.