Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 
aeropuerto

All over bloat - is it dropsy?

My male delta tail betta, Frankie, has dropped his color (went from a rusty red to more of a pinkish color in the body) and is bloated/swollen throughout his body (not just the belly). He still eats, but has stopped being very active. He lays on the bottom of the tank. He may have a very slight pineconing effect when viewed from above, but it is not obvious yet.

He is normally kept in a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank with regular 100% water changes. It is heated to the high 70s. I use Stress Coat and aquarium salt. He is at least two years old (was full grown when I got him). I originally rescued him from PetCo because he was floating at the top of his bowl on his side and had fin rot. After at least a month, we got the swim bladder disorder under control, and then cured the fin rot. His fins never really recovered totally.

He is fed Hikari betta bio gold pellets. Sometimes he gets two in the morning and two at night, or three at once for the whole day. On water change days, he gets freeze dried worms.

It has been a few days now that he has spent most of his time laying on the bottom of the tank, but he is not a particularly active fish, so it didn't worry me too much right away. But this morning I noticed he was very bloated and has color loss, so I became concerned. I have moved him to a 1 gallon unfiltered tank with nothing in it but a heater and a fake plant for him to hide behind. I've turned the temp up to 84 degrees and added two teaspoons of Epsom salt. What else should I do?

He is just laying on the bottom half on his side :(

His color has come back somewhat. This is what he looked like this morning (though some of the color difference is because this morning's picture was taken with my cellphone and no flash):

Help!
aeropuerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He may be aging out along with the effects of long term sodium chloride use, sadly, not a lot can be done for either, however, you don't want to give up either-they can surprise us.....

The Epsom salt is what I would recommend along with tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-I would lower the water level if you haven't already to just a couple of inches or use a small QT container and increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal and tannins.

I would premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannin source-then use that water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-Then 50% daily thereafter-cover the top of the tank or Qt with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ, water temp 76-77F for a compromised fish is best, turn off the light to decrease external stimulation....

Good luck and keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloat, dropsy, swollen