Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #11 
jase

depend on the volume and efficiency of filter/ or if you clean the filter regulaly
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #12 
Mo

Hte filter will have virtually no effect on the maintence schedule for a tank of downwards 5 galons as it won't properly remove ammonia without the additions of zeolite
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #13 
jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Hte filter will have virtually no effect on the maintence schedule for a tank of downwards 5 galons as it won't properly remove ammonia without the additions of zeolite

............If one were to have a 500G filter;) on a 5 g, then yes.
having a filter does increase water volume of a tank
Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #14 
Mo

I was speaking of the ability to remove harmful components such as ammonia from the water, the probability of a 2.5 gallon cycling is very slim

Also. I'd be curios to know how it increases the volume
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #15 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennybugJennifer View Post
Even with a filter?
Unfortunately, in an uncycled tank a filter is not going to do more than move the water around a bit and possibly trap rotting debris if not cleaned each water change (the water volume added by your little filter is not contributing enough water to let your tank go longer between cleanings). The true purpose of a filter is to create a nutrient and oxygen rich area for bacteria to colonize, then move the water through this area so that ammonia and nitrite can be metabolized by these bacteria and subsequently converted into the much less toxic nitrate.

This being said, heat distribution is the only reason I can think of for filtering an uncycled tank.

Personally, I agree that a heater should be your top priority. After that I would consider buying another tank and housing them each separately.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #16 
Tamyu

I find it curious that people always say a small tank cannot be cycled. I have had no trouble cycling several three gallons. You just cannot overload them and they will cycle without any trouble.

Of course you have to be careful to have good media in the filter - not the little cartridges they always sell with HOB filters and the like. I always set those aside and fill with proper filter media and sponge material.

If you give bacteria enough surface to populate, a flow of oxygenated water, and a food source, they will move in and your tank will cycle properly.

I just think with small tanks no one cycles them before putting fish in, and have to do so many large water changes to keep the fish alive that they don't give the tank any chance to cycle.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #17 
jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyu View Post
I find it curious that people always say a small tank cannot be cycled. I have had no trouble cycling several three gallons. You just cannot overload them and they will cycle without any trouble.

Of course you have to be careful to have good media in the filter - not the little cartridges they always sell with HOB filters and the like. I always set those aside and fill with proper filter media and sponge material.

If you give bacteria enough surface to populate, a flow of oxygenated water, and a food source, they will move in and your tank will cycle properly.

I just think with small tanks no one cycles them before putting fish in, and have to do so many large water changes to keep the fish alive that they don't give the tank any chance to cycle.
Any tank size can have a cycle. it just that the smaller the tank is, the less stable it is, and vis versa with bigger tank.
It is just harder to do so with a small tank, that all.