Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 
DevilsDeathChild

heater and filter questions

So at the moment I only have a 1.5 gallon tank for my new betta. It has a whisper filter Andi got a flat submersible heater that says for 2 to 5 gallons. The heater is the smallest I could find for the time being. The heater packaging says to unplug if the water gets past 75 degrees. Would it be safe to put it on a timer? And as for the filter, would cut up pantyhose work as a baffle?

Oh and if I don't respond, its because I had to start work. :/
DevilsDeathChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 
Mo

The optimal water temperatures for bettas is around 77-82 to thrive happily with accepting higher wate temperatures of 85 easily and thriving in those. Ideally from the provided information you would want to unplug the heater of it gets past 80 but keep the temperature at 78. But if the packaging says to unplug it, then it is probably for important reasons. What brand/model of heater do you have?

Yes, the panty hose can help with both the outflow and the input of the filter which are both damaging to bettas given that they are in higher concentrated levels. Such as a filter being on full blast in a bettas tank, and is drastically increasing the current in the tank
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 
DevilsDeathChild

So this isn't the brand of mine but its pretty much exactly the same. link
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
gbose

I'd test the heater in a small bowl with a thermometer and make sure it doesn't over-heat. In such a small tank, there's no room for error -- it could boil your betta.

Run it for a couple of days an make sure it's stable. Good luck!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
DevilsDeathChild

I did run it for a few days in the tank before I got the fish, and it seemed to stabilize at 82 to 85. I'm just wondering if the heater itself can handle that or not since the packaging says to unplug at 75 degrees.