Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #11 
michael0918

goldfish needs colder water? I live in a tropical country. Does that mean i need to cool down the water for my goldies? Is there such thing as cooler for aquarium? 0.o
michael0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm not sure on the exact temps. I think you should worry about getting them in a larger tank for now. Like Mo suggested, 40 gallons is good for 2 pearlscales.

Thanks for taking the advice so well. A lot of people freak out. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #13 
Wolfie305

Your tropical region is probably just fine for your Pearlscales.

Goldfish are not coldwater wish, but temperate fish, meaning they can withstand large differences in temperature depending on the time of the year (freezing temps to as high as 85 degrees).

Because Pearlscales are a double tailed goldfish, it means they are a little more sensitive to temperature and prefer the water to be between 70 degrees and 80 degrees. Koimaiden mentioned she actually has a heater for her fancy (double tailed) goldfish because she lives in a cooler climate.

The Pearlscale's temperature preference does NOT mean they can live with your betta fish, however. Pretty much everyone here as given you the reasons why. More importantly, they need a bigger tank.

I just rescued two, single tailed (comet) goldfish recently and learned I needed a 55 gallon tank to keep them both happy! Goldfish need LOTS of space to be happy and healthy, especially since they produce so much waste. They also need filters.

Any pictures of your pearlscales? I want one so bad, but they'll have to wait until I'm moved out and can get another huge tank :)

If you want some really good info on goldfish (and bettas), check out this blog, written by one of our members, thekoimaiden - she is great with goldfish and has taught me everything I know over the past few months!

http://fishgirlskoipond.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Wolfie305; 04-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Your tropical region is probably just fine for your Pearlscales.

Goldfish are not coldwater wish, but temperate fish, meaning they can withstand large differences in temperature depending on the time of the year (freezing temps to as high as 85 degrees).

Because Pearlscales are a double tailed goldfish, it means they are a little more sensitive to temperature and prefer the water to be between 70 degrees and 80 degrees. Koimaiden mentioned she actually has a heater for her fancy (double tailed) goldfish because she lives in a cooler climate.

The Pearlscale's temperature preference does NOT mean they can live with your betta fish, however. Pretty much everyone here as given you the reasons why. More importantly, they need a bigger tank.

I just rescued two, single tailed (comet) goldfish recently and learned I needed a 55 gallon tank to keep them both happy! Goldfish need LOTS of space to be happy and healthy, especially since they produce so much waste. They also need filters.

Any pictures of your pearlscales? I want one so bad, but they'll have to wait until I'm moved out and can get another huge tank :)

If you want some really good info on goldfish (and bettas), check out this blog, written by one of our members, thekoimaiden - she is great with goldfish and has taught me everything I know over the past few months!

http://fishgirlskoipond.blogspot.com/
+1
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Uggh I want some pearlies so bad. :/
Just keeping them at room temperature should be fine. The cooler the water the more oxygen capacity it has, so you'll probably want a bubbler in your tank. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Everyone here has given you some great information about goldfish and betta living together. It's just not gonna work for a number of reasons. I'm sorry. I think your best course of action would be to return the pearlscale goldfish to where you got them. I suggest this because most people aren't prepared for a fish that can grow to the size of a softball, live 10 years, and needs rather large tanks. If you are prepared for this responsibility get them into a MINIMUM 30 gallon tank (larger is always better, tho) pronto with a filter rated for a 50 gallon tank. You are also going to need to cycle the tank and can read more about that here: A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

And also, welcome to the forum! We hope that this little bump in your fishkeeping hobby isn't going to trip you up too much!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #17 
michael0918

thanks for all the inputs guys.
n0 picture, i dont want anyone to see where im housing my goldies. Some might hate me im sure.
I think i'll just return em. I dont think i can afford a 30gal tank right now.
thank you very much.
michael0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #18 
JennybugJennifer

The pet store told me NEVER to mix the two
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote