Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #1 
lilyth88

Angry I think Gandalf is suicidal....

So about a week ago, I noticed Gandalf had a couple little rips in his fin. I noticed he had been spending a lot of time in this dense plastic plant we had, so I removed it and replaced it with a silk plant. I assumed this would solve it. I put a little stress coat in and a little bit of AQ salt and thought it was over.

Now, the rips in his fins are getting worse. I'm assuming he is tail-biting because there is nothing in the tank for him to snag them on. This part doesn't worry me, I've switched around his tank and keep his tank extremely clean. That damage he can heal.

However...

Whenever he sees his reflection anywhere in the tank, he goes nuts. He starts flaring and BASHING himself against the side of the tank repeatedly. Not just a light bump either. He rears up and POW! I haven't seen any damage from this bashing yet, but it's extremely alarming. I have moved decorations to the trouble places and then he just finds a new place to do it. I'm panicking so much, I started leaving his light out last night to prevent any reflections.

I'm really not sure what else to do about this. I know I take wonderful care of my bettas, so it's disheartening to see one of my "babies" so violent. Any ideas?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
lilyth88

Anyone.....???
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

i really don't know why, but some betta's become really defensive than other's in reflections or other betta's. and the tearing, you'll have to talk to someone that had/have that problem
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

i would suggest putting a back drop on your tank and putting dense plants all around the sides but then you wouldn't be able to see him

As for the ripping, i slightly agree its highly possible to be tailbiting but i should let the disease experts go on, hes some strange fish
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 
lilyth88

He doesn't seem to mess with the back, it's just the sides and the front. I've moved things to the problem areas and he just finds a new area. I don't want to have to leave his light out all the time, but it's terrifying to see him bash himself like that.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Turn his light on only when your room light is on. I never turn my tank lights on in the dark to avoid these problems.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Turn his light on only when your room light is on. I never turn my tank lights on in the dark to avoid these problems.
He seems to be content sitting under his bridge right now. When I come up to the glass he pokes his face out at me. We'll see how long he stays calm. =/
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

He's being submissive :(
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
He's being submissive :(
I'd prefer that quiet side of him rather than the aggressive-glass-bashing side of him.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #10 
lilyth88

So I came home from work today to find most of his dorsal fin gone. I'm doing everything I know to do. Clean/warm water, AQ salt, stress coat, moving the decorations around, nothing for him to snag his fins on. He's driving me nuts. =(