Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 
sock

Unhappy Bowl help

Hi, Recently my cousin came over and fell and broke my tank, Quick i grabbed a cup and saved my betta and I've got him in a cheap half gallon, Which he's really upset about but I had no money. I just bought him today a 10 Gallon with all new stuff, but the problem is I have to wait so long for the 10 Gallon to cycle and I'm not sure if it's fine for him to be in his half gallon for the new 1-2months. Is there anything I can do to speed the process or do something for him? I'm scared he'll get something bad in his little tank...
sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 
SarahandOscar

Can't you buy liquid bacteria to cycle a tank in 24 hours? PLEASE FORGIVE me if i'm wrong but i have a friend who was advised to do this and a few fish places have agreed it's fine once all the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph levels are fine? She has not added fish yet as this was last weekend so i don't have solid experience BUT we tested the water last night and everything was perfect water wise?
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 
LinkLover

You can always do a fish-in cycle. I know it's probably more work and less recommended, but that's what I'm doing with my ten gallon and it's working out just fine. It does require testing the water and doing changes when the ammonia/nitrite spikes, but you can do it without hurting the fish as long as you don't let the readings get above .50 ppm at max (.25 is better).
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
Can't you buy liquid bacteria to cycle a tank in 24 hours? PLEASE FORGIVE me if i'm wrong but i have a friend who was advised to do this and a few fish places have agreed it's fine once all the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph levels are fine? She has not added fish yet as this was last weekend so i don't have solid experience BUT we tested the water last night and everything was perfect water wise?
I'm sorry, I'm new to the fish world but is liquid bacteria the same as water conditioner? I'm pretty sure its not though.

Is it's something else, I'll try it. Is there any huge risk?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
You can always do a fish-in cycle. I know it's probably more work and less recommended, but that's what I'm doing with my ten gallon and it's working out just fine. It does require testing the water and doing changes when the ammonia/nitrite spikes, but you can do it without hurting the fish as long as you don't let the readings get above .50 ppm at max (.25 is better).
Yes, you can do a 'fish-in' cycle and do so safely if you closely monitor the water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate) and do the needed water changes.

If you do this, you need to get a good test kit. The API Freshwater kit is great, well worth the money. Test strips are often not accurate and you only get a few for a big price. :P

>>Also, if you do the fish-in method you do NOT want to add ammonia. As your fish will be making the ammonia. ;)

----

I've heard that most of the time, the bacteria in a bottle stuff does NOT work. So, I personally wouldn't bother with it.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 
SarahandOscar

No we had to buy it separately, like i said we haven't put fish in yet but the water levels are perfect, we're gonna test it again tonight then take a sample to the petstore for a triple check before we buy the fish but if the whole purpose of cycling is to obtain the perfect water conditions we got it in a day..... it's just like obtaining some healthy gravel and water from a cycled tank to speed the process (so i've read) but i need to clarify we have had basic success (water only) there have been no fish involved and only advice from aquarium stores... maybe look into it a bit or wait till you get advice from senior members of the forum. My friend is setting up a tropical tank, not specifically for Betta's and i'm still too new to offer proper advice for Betta specific tank set ups :)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 
sock

Does anybody know about any liquid bacteria? I like that idea vs the "Fish In" one.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sock View Post
Does anybody know about any liquid bacteria? I like that idea vs the "Fish In" one.
I can check my brand and specs when i get home tonight (it's 10am here in Australia) but i am in Australia..... so u may be able to find something over where u are :)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 
LinkLover

There is a sticky in this section about different methods of cycling, which may have something that works better for you (including using pure ammonia). Here is the link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 
SweetNightmare

If you have some anacharis available from a store(petsmart sells them and most fish places) they can help lower the levels to ease the stress of a fish in cycle. I planted my tank, put in some bottled bacteria and conditioner, and a few days later my tank was stable and ready for fish!
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote