Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #1 
CaseyA
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Is this jumping in with both feet?

My husband is going to think I've gone completely around the bend. I just dropped $60 on a $7 fish. I did find one of the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 gallons for $20 at petco, and got the Hydor THEO 25W heater since I've seen folks rave about it here. Add some Omega food, some bloodworms and some silk plant and all of the sudden it's at $60!


I tried to find some reviews of the Mini Bow here before taking the plunge but I am having a terrible time with search terms. I didn't see a single review! Someone please tell me this is a decent little tank.

I sure hope Jack likes it.

Oh, and I checked his tank temperature this morning before turning on the light, it was at 75. Is that okay for nighttime?
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Sixty bucks...for everything you need? Is that all? You've only just begun. LoL.

The Aqueon's fine for a first tank. You won't need the filter right away. If you ever get live plants, you can replace the incandescent bulb with a 6500 Kelvin CFL. In fact, many members like the look of their fish better in that light.

Omega One is very good food. Frozen bloodworms are better for them than freeze dried.

I guess you got a thermometer, too, if you checked your temp at 75*. Actually 78* to 80* is better. It should stay there all the time.

Sounds like you have a real good start at this. Feel free to ask questions; we're here to help. Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 
CaseyA
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Sixty bucks...for everything you need? Is that all? You've only just begun. LoL.
Oh dear, don't say that! That tiny bit of rationality in the back of my head is still screaming WTF???? Yeah, I think that's all I need for Jack.

Quote:
The Aqueon's fine for a first tank. You won't need the filter right away. If you ever get live plants, you can replace the incandescent bulb with a 6500 Kelvin CFL. In fact, many members like the look of their fish better in that light.
Does the CFL cause heat buildup in the hood? The 1 gallon I have now has a lid that gets quite warm after a couple of hours with the 7.5 watt light on. Right now it's great, it warms the water up, but once I have the heater the additional heat isn't required and won't give me nearly as much heartburn (I'm paranoid of fires.)

Quote:
Omega One is very good food. Frozen bloodworms are better for them than freeze dried.
<sigh> So much to learn. . ..but the freezedried are okay right?

Quote:
I guess you got a thermometer, too, if you checked your temp at 75*. Actually 78* to 80* is better. It should stay there all the time.
LOL Actually, I'm using one of my thermometers used for cooking. I turned the light off at around midnight, and after being off for seven hours the tank was 75. I just changed the whole tank and checked the temp, it's at 79 now. I understand they need more consistency than that, but Jack has to hold tight until the shipment gets here.

Quote:
Sounds like you have a real good start at this. Feel free to ask questions; we're here to help. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you! I've found this forum so very helpful. Everyone is so kind and willing to educate this rank amateur.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Bettabettabetta's setup was 100... mostly because he was a gift from my husband, who has no idea how to be thrifty! It had to be brand new everything, lol. (My husband had no idea the gift would turn me into a monster!)

Recently, I bought 3x10 gal tanks, a 20 and a 29, and heating, filtration, gravel, live plants, lighting and decor for all... I'm at 500 dollars and don't even have all the fish yet. I jumped from 1 fish, to 2 fish, to 7 fish almost over night... and my husband has the men in the white coats on speed dial, just in case. Yeah.. 60 bucks is a nice low figure, lol
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 
CaseyA
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Bettabettabetta's setup was 100... mostly because he was a gift from my husband, who has no idea how to be thrifty! It had to be brand new everything, lol. (My husband had no idea the gift would turn me into a monster!)

Recently, I bought 3x10 gal tanks, a 20 and a 29, and heating, filtration, gravel, live plants, lighting and decor for all... I'm at 500 dollars and don't even have all the fish yet. I jumped from 1 fish, to 2 fish, to 7 fish almost over night... and my husband has the men in the white coats on speed dial, just in case. Yeah.. 60 bucks is a nice low figure, lol
LOL When my husband has kittens tonight I'm going to show him your post. :D

My physical limits will keep me from following in your footsteps. I can see a couple more 2.5 gallons though. . ..
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #6 
SweetNightmare
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Sixty IS good, I think I've spent a total of over a hundred on mine, lol. Boyfriend's getting frustrated though, he's decreed no more bettas when I suggested getting one to put in my 2.5.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #7 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
If you're limited, I suggest a 10 gallon. It's not as much work once it's set up, and you can split it in half and put two fish in it. But that's for later, once you're comfortable with the fish and taking care of him.

As for bloodworms, you can feed him the dried, but watch for bloating, and remember it's a once or twice a week snack, not an all-the-time food. Frozen are better for them, and safer, and a lot more fun to feed them, and not very expensive, either. I get mine for about 2 bucks a pack, and that pack lasts a single fish.. well.. forever, lol. Just watch for freezer burn.

And you shouldn't worry about fires. I do, too, can't help it. My house burned down 2 years ago. We lost pretty much everything, including my fish, Lunch, and a cat, Kyra. So when we moved into our new house, I blocked off the fireplace, put everything on serge protector strips and refused to cook for months. I still won't use a grill. But fish are the anti-fire pet. If you're worried about the light, put it on a serge protector strip. You know, the electrical strips you use with computers? It'll shut off it there is any kind of short, meaning everything on the strip will turn off. Good protection for the fish, too. Or you could switch to an LED light, those don't give off much heat and are pretty much enclosed.

P.S. we love pictures!

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #8 
CaseyA
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
If you're limited, I suggest a 10 gallon. It's not as much work once it's set up, and you can split it in half and put two fish in it. But that's for later, once you're comfortable with the fish and taking care of him.
I found the old hamster aquarium tank in a closet yesterday. It's mocking me. . .. ;)

Quote:
As for bloodworms, you can feed him the dried, but watch for bloating, and remember it's a once or twice a week snack, not an all-the-time food. Frozen are better for them, and safer, and a lot more fun to feed them, and not very expensive, either. I get mine for about 2 bucks a pack, and that pack lasts a single fish.. well.. forever, lol. Just watch for freezer burn.
Should I reconstitute them before feeding?

Quote:
And you shouldn't worry about fires. I do, too, can't help it. My house burned down 2 years ago. We lost pretty much everything, including my fish, Lunch, and a cat, Kyra. So when we moved into our new house, I blocked off the fireplace, put everything on serge protector strips and refused to cook for months. I still won't use a grill. But fish are the anti-fire pet. If you're worried about the light, put it on a serge protector strip. You know, the electrical strips you use with computers? It'll shut off it there is any kind of short, meaning everything on the strip will turn off. Good protection for the fish, too. Or you could switch to an LED light, those don't give off much heat and are pretty much enclosed.
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Pretty much everything is on surge suppressors here! The little 1 gallon tank is on one. I'm just paranoid, I accept it. If the new tank accepts an LED or CFL I'm going to switch it out.

Quote:
P.S. we love pictures!
If I can get the guy to sit still long enough! I found an old small makeup mirror and used a paper clip to hang it off the edge of the tank to see how it would go over. Jack seriously flared! I left it up only five minutes or so though, don't want Jack overdoing it. I haven't tried to take pictures at night with only the tank light going, that might work better.

Last edited by CaseyA; 05-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #9 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
I have the mini bow 2.5 for Gandalf and I hate everything about it. (Not trying to discourage you...)

  1. The light that came with it got extremely hot and wasn't very bright. I replaced it with a flourescent.
  2. The filter current is waaaaaaay too strong for a betta, must be baffled.
  3. The way the filter is positioned, it blocks out most of the light from that half of the tank, so you have bright areas and dark areas.
  4. The feeding lid likes to collect pellets in its crevices.
  5. The cords to the filter and heater fit awkwardly.
  6. Too small to divide, even though it comes with a divider. If you did divide it, one side would have little to no surface area because the filter takes up almost all the area on that side...
Looking back, I really wish I had two of Chronos' 3 gallon tank instead of this crappy 2.5. Or even the 5 gallon version of my 3. He lives in this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752385
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 
Twilight Storm
Member
 
Twilight Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Welcome to the forum :)

I love the 2.5 tank you got.

Make sure you jam a sponge on the intake tube. My favorites are the Fluval Edge sponges because they are round and already have a nice clean hole to pop it right onto the intake tube. (I think they make 2 sizes of these sponges, make sure you get the smaller one or you might have to put something inside it to hold it onto the intake.)

My fish actually stick themselves on the sides of the sponges to sleep and rest sometimes. With the sponge on the intake there is just enough suction to hold them lightly onto the sponge when they decide to get lazy LOL!

The light does make the water warmer. I've been running these tanks for over a year now and love them. I tried to change to a fluorescent but I can't find one that doesn't make a horrible odor that I am afraid will kill me and my birds. (Don't recommend you buy the Aqueon 50/50 fluorescent, it makes a horrible dangerous smelling odor.)

Can you link the fluorescent bulbs you found please? I would like to switch over because I'd like a better light for my plants.

To comment on dividing it, yeah don't use the divider. Keep it though. If you get a 5 gallon or something you might be able to make a moss wall with it.

I feed from the space in the back. So I don't get food build up in any cracks.

They did block a lot of light with the filter, but it's been fine to grow java moss and java fern in my tanks.

My chords fit nicely, not sure what you mean by they fit awkwardly?

My filter current is possibly baffled already by my pre-filter sponges on the intake tube. I didn't have to baffle the filter output. Maybe this is a tank by tank basis? The tanks I have have filters that work nicely.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 05-04-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: edit
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.