Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Hard water

so...my test kits always say I have hard water. Is that a problem? If so, how do I fix it?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 
Megalechis

I know in Crowntail bettas it's thought to cause fin curling, but I'm not sure about the other fin types.

Driftwood and/or leaves are ways I've heard of naturally softening water.
Megalechis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 
Mo

in crowntail bettas ot can cause very noticable fin curlong and not as noticable and severe fin curling in other betta types, this will not effect the Betta negatively at all.

Elevate amounts of leaves will naturally soften the water, aswell as most types of driftwood, this will also realease beneficial tannins with very positive effects, they are known to help prevent diseases, make the fish feel better, and with leaves, provide a place for males to nest (under them)m the water will turn slightly brown though depending on the amount you have and whether or not you use carbon. Another way would be to add a small amount of peat moss to the filter

It only becomes a problem of you have certain fish that are sensitive to relatively hard, and the exact parameters, usually amazon river based fish thrive in softer water and can't handle very hard water without being very succeptable to diseases and having there life span shortened, depending on your exact parameters your Betta should typically be completely fine as they are very adaptable fish and can thrive in a wide range of water hardness and PH's

Last edited by Mo; 05-04-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Oh okay. Well the nitrates and nitrites are safe, and it looks like the pH is about 7.5 and alkalinity is about moderate....so with that being said, should everything be all good?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 
Mo

Yes, there is nothing wrong with the water if you only have bettas
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

okay thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 
Mo

Your welcome, it is always safer to leave the PH alone and not alter it as an unstable PH is more harmful than a PH that is a bit out of range which in this case it is in the range though