Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #21 
redchigh

Instead of tums, I would buy calcium pills at the grocery store (in the vitamin aisle). Just break them in half and drop them in. (1/2 a pill per week or so)
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #22 
Pogthefish

mmmm, I'll stick with tums, cuz my mom is very against human things in the tank, she barely let me use cucumbers and tums.. she kept fish a long time ago, so she knows best i guess....
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #23 
Silverfang

snello (snail jello). I'll dig up the recipe, I just used the basic recipe with a few extras. I couldnt feed it to them, the girls decided it was nommy. The ghost shrimp attacked it and frightened the girls I think

Edit: here's the recipe, copied from applesnail.net

Quote:
CatCov's Snail Treats

I designed these while on a quest for a really simple, low-cost, low-hassle snail food recipie that could be made in small quantities (so that you can test out new flavors or feed a single beloved snail).

Ingredients

1 can of baby food (4-6 oz)
1 tsp+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/vitamin supplements (may be omitted)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

You can select any fish food and any flavor of baby food that you like. A popular combination in my tank right now is "Bananas & Spirulina." Gerber also makes Pink Guava baby food that the snails find very alluring.

This is a good way to feed fish foods that are good for snails but don't sink, like freeze-dried shrimp, or fish foods that have a strong smell when cooked in other recipies. You can mix in much more than a teaspoon of fish food, and including the ingredients of a "snail trail mix" instead of a single fish food would make this snail treat more nutritionally complete.

Instructions

Open the baby food and pour it into a small bowl. Heat the baby food in the microwave for 60 seconds (caution, it will be very hot).

Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it float).

Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipie, you might consider a pie pan).* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.

Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.

One jar of baby food yields a good handful of snail treats. Keep them refrigerated until serving. These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished.

*You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.

Last edited by Silverfang; 05-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #24 
Pogthefish

ooh, i cant wait! lol :D

I dont use much baby food, but does gerber come in dif. sizes? lol what size to use?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #25 
Silverfang

just the small one, it's about half a cup? maybe
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #26 
thekoimaiden

Haha! That recipe looks very similar to the gel food recipe I use to feed my goldfish. Instead of fish food I use canned salmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
mmmm, I'll stick with tums, cuz my mom is very against human things in the tank, she barely let me use cucumbers and tums.. she kept fish a long time ago, so she knows best i guess....
Well you be sure to tell your mother that things have changed a bit. Fishkeeping has come a long way in the past 20 years, and we understand a lot more about these little ecosystems in a bottle. Unless she has kept up with it, I wouldn't take her advice over someone a little more current. I've seen people come back to fishkeeping after 10 or 20 years away from the hobby and be amazed at how much we know now and how wrong things were done "back in the day." I don't mean to be insulting; I'm just trying to make you realize that things have changed. The old ways aren't the best ways anymore.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #27 
Pogthefish

I know.. but it cant hurt! lol :P ill have to talk to her, but were alos short of money.. lol