Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 
Domino

trying to keep cool

What are some good ways to keep a tank cool? A few days ago, I unplugged the heater in my aquarium because the temperature had risen to 90 degrees. My fish seems to be okay and doesn't appear stressed. I've kept the light off in fear that it'll raise the temperature. The thermometer is holding at about 84 degrees right now, but I'm worried because I don't want it over 80. The average temperature outside has been in the 80s and 90s for the past few days, and the house has been on the warm side as well, but I don't want to wake up one morning or come home from work with a floating fishstick.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 
Bethydan

Hmmm... I'm assuming you don't have air conditioning, since the temp's so high. Let's see... if it is getting sunlight then move it. The aquarium lighting itself might affect the temperature, but I doubt it would be by a whole lot. Some people use fans. Not sure how exactly they do it, though. Maybe adjust it so it is blowing across the light fixture part of the hood? Floating a (closed) bag of ice might help, but it would take some supervision and upkeep to replace the ice.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 
Rosso1011

How big is the aquarium and what type of heater do you have? I ask, because I know it is typically harder to keep a 1 gallon at a stable temperature or it may have something to do with the heater? It's possible that you may do better with a heater that has you can adjust the temperature on. It's hard to give better answers without info. You may try putting keeping a fan on in the room, keeping him in a room that might stay cooler, maybe others might have better ideas.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #4 
Bethydan

I know some hardcore fishkeepers use fancy devices, but for the average fish owner it's probably expensive and a lot of trouble. If the tank has a cover, removing it might help quite a bit.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 
Domino

I have a 5 gallon tank. The heater is an adjustable Aqueon heater. We don't have air conditioning right now, and I think it's the house temperature because the heater was working perfectly during the winter. This is my first spring/summer with him. The tank isn't in the sunlight. I will be getting a fan for the room soon to see if that can help. The tank does have a hood, but I don't want him to get an fancy ideas about exploring the world beyond, if you know what I mean.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 
Bethydan

True. :) I know that some craft stores sell plastic canvas mesh for less than fifty cents. Maybe you can secure that on top to prevent jumping while still having aeration. I use it as a divider in my larger tank.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I sometimes have to cool my tanks in the summer, too. (And we have AC). Getting craft mesh to put over the top and removing the hood (light and all unless you have live plants) sounds like a good idea. Hoods trap in a lot of heat, and lights do produce some heat. When you get a fan you could also aim that over the tank, but as long as his temp is down around 84F he should be fine. In the summer my tanks get around that warm.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote