Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
Leighla

Wal-mart fish conditions.

Was doing a little shopping earlier in my local Wally World, and I had to of course go look over the betta's. If there's a betta in the store, I gotta check it out, while I may not have room or need another one, it's an itch you gotta scratch right?
Well I strolled over to the fish area, looked over each betta, and about 70% of them were in bad shape. I even saw one that was dead, and looked to have been that way for days and days.
I then went over to check out how the other fishies were living...Not any better, worse even. There was at least 2 dead fish in each section of tanks. In the Neon Tetra tank, there was at least 10-15 dead ones laying at the bottom and/or floating around. It was disgusting to say the least.
I guess the employees have better and more important things to do than keep the living things in the store ALIVE. OH! and not to mention, every tank with fish only had the weekend feeder pellets, that's all they ate, no real food, no flakes, nothing, just those chunks of "food".
Maybe it's just the employee in electronics that was very rude to me when I asked him a question about where a certain item was, with him giving me attitude and acting like I was the dumbest person he'd ever come across that has me all fired up, but FOR SHAME Wal-mart FOR SHAME!
Leighla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Wal-Mart has the WORST conditions 4 Bettas @ ALL TIMES!!! They never change water,They don't care or feed everyday,THEY WON'T EVEN GET THE DEAD ONES OUT!!! They are a disgrace to be caring for such a beautiful fish!
There is a petition thread around here but the people are still wondering if or not to do the petition.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #3 
SweetDLove

I think it's sad that a lot of the Employees that run the pets/aquatics section always appear to be lazy or just don't have a clue on what to do. You'd think if they sell living things, they'd at least try to find people who knew what they were doing so that the animals didn't have to suffer for the sake of money.

I'm at least thankful that a petstore a half an hour away has professionals there that actually know what they're doing and give proper advice for caring for certain types of pets (especially fish).
SweetDLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 
Leighla

It's just pathetic. If the employees aren't going to properly care of the fish, then don't carry the fish. You bring one home anyway and it dies in two days. I'm really not surprised that it was bad, but it's still a little shocking when they've been so poorly cared for that there's 15 dead ones laying in the bottom of a tank, and most others on their death bed. It's saddening.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I have yet to go to a store that has bettas in good condition - weather it be walmart, petco, petsmart or the 2 local pet shops. One LPS has employees that work off COMISSION and chagre $2 for the betta cup Yes, lets sell people animals they cant care for just so you can make a comission. They sell mostly puppies - expensive puppies.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #6 
BeckyFish97

thats just plain sick
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #7 
LuckyBlue

Contact the home office at walmart. I just had my fifth conversation with a walmart manager about the bettas. He said a call to the home office gets a contact to the store manager.

He happened to be the store manager. I told him the betta care is horrid. He actually seemed to care. He said it Will be better and to come back and check and let him know what i think.

But until you get someone to care. If you have the nerve, which I do. Go open a bottle of the betta water they sell for them. Walk to the sink. Empty out most of the dirty water. Refill with their betta water. Put lid back on. Grab another betta. Repeat. I have done this three or four times. No one notices or cares. I told the manager i did this. Really what can he do?

Sometimes you just have to DO.....
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 
Laki

Keep contacting store managers and head office. There's no WalMart in my province that sells live anything. The shelves where the tanks used to be carries, more efficiently, the huge bags of dog and cat food, cat trees and kennels. It's not economical for WM to sell fish. Just keep harrassing them. You're not the first one they've heard from, and pretty soon changes will be implemented.
My 7 yr old neice always picks out the dead fish in the stores and alerts the employees. Whose gonna walk away from a 7 year old!!! lol She's too cute, waiting patiently until their not busy and then pointing out the tank and area the fish is kept!! lol She also spikes convo with them, saying things like , "that's a sin, he was getting bullied" and "aw, rest in peace little fishie". !!!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #9 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Keep contacting store managers and head office. There's no WalMart in my province that sells live anything. The shelves where the tanks used to be carries, more efficiently, the huge bags of dog and cat food, cat trees and kennels. It's not economical for WM to sell fish. Just keep harrassing them. You're not the first one they've heard from, and pretty soon changes will be implemented.
My 7 yr old neice always picks out the dead fish in the stores and alerts the employees. Whose gonna walk away from a 7 year old!!! lol She's too cute, waiting patiently until their not busy and then pointing out the tank and area the fish is kept!! lol She also spikes convo with them, saying things like , "that's a sin, he was getting bullied" and "aw, rest in peace little fishie". !!!!

Awww thats too cute!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #10 
Leighla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBlue View Post
Contact the home office at walmart. I just had my fifth conversation with a walmart manager about the bettas. He said a call to the home office gets a contact to the store manager.

He happened to be the store manager. I told him the betta care is horrid. He actually seemed to care. He said it Will be better and to come back and check and let him know what i think.

But until you get someone to care. If you have the nerve, which I do. Go open a bottle of the betta water they sell for them. Walk to the sink. Empty out most of the dirty water. Refill with their betta water. Put lid back on. Grab another betta. Repeat. I have done this three or four times. No one notices or cares. I told the manager i did this. Really what can he do?

Sometimes you just have to DO.....

WOO! you go! I don't know if I'd have the guts to that, unless it was really late and nobody was around lol

Tags
conditions, dead fish, fish, poor health, wal-mart fish