Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 
AFishTale

Question Pick A Pair.

Going to start conditioning a pair soon, so I just wanted some feedback as to which two I should spawn. First up are the males; they are both dragons, and their parents can be seen here-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPxd...eature=related

First Male (Maiconi)

Second (Mumford)

The females

Sibling Female 1

Sibling Female 2

Jocasta (Recovering from a soroity scuffle)

Blue n' red HM

First off, I know that none of these fish are perfect; very few are. I would simply like to know which of my fish would produce the most balanced and nice looking fish. On that note, although it would seem logical just to breed back to one of the sibling girls, part of me really wants to breed to one of the colored girls to satisfy my curiosity of the outcome...Anyway, if you could respond with what two fish you think I should pair, and what I might produce with them that would be fantastic.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 
Junglist

I would go for Mumford and Sibling Female 2 the pattern colors are really nice and will produce a nice line. Maiconi & Jocasta would be nice too
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
I would go for Mumford and Sibling Female 2 the pattern colors are really nice and will produce a nice line. Maiconi & Jocasta would be nice too
That could be interesting, thanks! Any other opinions?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
Junglist

Maiconi & Jacosta?

My daughter told me this one day when I was debating on which pair to do next, she say me thinking and told me "Hey daddy choosing a pair is like choosing what to wear for a hot date" lol and she's only 8. All I'm trying to say is be creative and have fun with it but make sure you know your bettas very well
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #5 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
Maiconi & Jacosta?

My daughter told me this one day when I was debating on which pair to do next, she say me thinking and told me "Hey daddy choosing a pair is like choosing what to wear for a hot date" lol and she's only 8. All I'm trying to say is be creative and have fun with it but make sure you know your bettas very well
Aww, that's certainly anther way of looking at things. I kinda have an itch to pair Mumford and Jocasta. Wonder if Mustard Gas or Dragon would win out in the young..
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 
betta lover1507

first what kind of goal your setting on? :) i think the blue/red female is good because she has a 180 caudal spread, but her colors are very dominant. so i would go with female sibling 1, with male 1 :P

*EDIT* go with jocasta, because from the looks of female sibling 1, i just noticed a scale deformation.

Last edited by betta lover1507; 05-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #7 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Can you find another male? The sibling female number 1 has scale deformities, and that is hereditary. So if you cross any of your dragons, chances are a good portion of them will have that trait, if not more deformites. I would say leave the dragons and start with your best female you have which is the multicolor, and find her a new male.
Good luck !!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
Can you find another male? The sibling female number 1 has scale deformities, and that is hereditary. So if you cross any of your dragons, chances are a good portion of them will have that trait, if not more deformites. I would say leave the dragons and start with your best female you have which is the multicolor, and find her a new male.
Good luck !!
Well, the only LFS that sells decently bred bettas is now closed; and since this is my first shot at breeding, I really would just like to use who I have. I'm not going for show quality bettas right off the bat, maybe in the future though..

The other siblings of my dragons mostly seemed to have uniform scales, and though chances are I'll have some messy scaling, these fry will more than likey just be given away or sold locally. I really love the form on my red and blue girl, and if I paired her with one of the dragons would all the offspring be blue and red wash?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #9 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFishTale View Post
Well, the only LFS that sells decently bred bettas is now closed; and since this is my first shot at breeding, I really would just like to use who I have. I'm not going for show quality bettas right off the bat, maybe in the future though..

The other siblings of my dragons mostly seemed to have uniform scales, and though chances are I'll have some messy scaling, these fry will more than likey just be given away or sold locally. I really love the form on my red and blue girl, and if I paired her with one of the dragons would all the offspring be blue and red wash?
I will leave you with this thought....if you sell your fish locally and you breed deformed fish, how can you guarantee that none of your fish will be bought, bred and sold again? Breeding means that you are responsible for your creations and the impact they have on the rest of their species. You are knowingly wanting to breed and sell deformed fish. Regardless if you sell them locally, their is a chance that someone like yourself will want to breed your deformed fish anyway. Is your want to breed more important than the integrity of the species? I don't mean to be rude, but neither of your males are quality. Especially since they have deformities in the line.
Any male with a full spread would be better than the males you have.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I will leave you with this thought....if you sell your fish locally and you breed deformed fish, how can you guarantee that none of your fish will be bought, bred and sold again? Breeding means that you are responsible for your creations and the impact they have on the rest of their species. You are knowingly wanting to breed and sell deformed fish. Regardless if you sell them locally, their is a chance that someone like yourself will want to breed your deformed fish anyway. Is your want to breed more important than the integrity of the species? I don't mean to be rude, but neither of your males are quality. Especially since they have deformities in the line.
Any male with a full spread would be better than the males you have.
Yeah, that's true. I'll just keep them as is and hope I come across something better for breeding later.