Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #181 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
It's likely that they're feeling a bit stressed from the move. They'll be fine without eating for a day or two - keep the tank lights out and give them time to adjust - they'll likely happily take their feed after they start settling in.

As far as food is concerned, from my understanding (and there is some debate here) the freeze dried foods aren't terribly good for them, as they can expand in their tummies, causing bloat. Bloodworms are good, but it's BEST to feed a variety of foods - if you're going with frozen foods, use the wet-frozen type. These are found easily, even the big chain stores will have a freezer, though you may have to ask after it. The pellets are good, just make sure you get the right type - and for the record MY ADF refuses to eat the pellets at all! If that's what they were being fed in the shop, then yours might react differently to them. I feed a mixture of bloodworms, brine, bits of tilapia, whiteworm. . . there's a long list of possibilities! With the frozen foods, be sure to defrost them before feeding - they will sink to the bottom when thawed.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here soon with more advice for you, but for now I hope this helped! Good luck - and keep us posted on your new babies!
My frogs still won't eat :( I bought the pellets and they are small enough for them, I put them around the area they sit, but they won't even react to them.
I called the store and they said they feed them the same thing... Should I try frozen bloodworms? I also saw youtube videos of people feeding with big tweezers and things. Where can I get something like that?

Last edited by whatwhat; 05-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #182 
Gizmothefreaky

Hello! Sorry i have been away! I just wantedto say, frozen bloodworms are a great starting food. Mine eat pellets and bloodworms readily, and always have.
Is there anything else in the tank that coule be bullying them? Sometimes mine wont eat if the cories are crowding them.

How long have you had them, and do they seem bloated, or have red hind legs? they could just not be feeling well... Did you put them in a cycled tank? and what kind of food did you get them, like the brand?

I suggest buying some frozen bloodworms and feeding that before deciding that you need to hand feed. Teaching them that hands mean food makes it to where you cant just throw food in and go, so i avoid it as much as i can.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #183 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I have a question about ADFs. I've been considering non fish options for my 4th tank.. One of my ideas is to do a paludarium. No idea how it works. But if I made a frog one, could I have ADFs in the water portion with no fear of them climbing out and killing themselves on the land, as long as there is an easy way in and out of the water? It would be extremely humid in there also.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #184 
Gizmothefreaky

Hmm, honestly I have heard of ADFs climbing out onto floating plants with no problem, and I am sure they do it in the wild, but I have never heard anything about what you ate talking about doing. Lol sorry!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #185 
Chesh

My thoughts are that a frog wouldn't be daft enough to come out of the water if it was going to be harmed by doing so - these guys do live in the wild, and the option to leave the water would have to be available to them! But I've never really looked into this one before! I sent a message to the frog guru's on message board I visit - it's quite likely that one of them has tried this, so I'll let you know what they come back with!

Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #186 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I thought it'd be cute to have ADFs and some small treefrogs together. Until they all start singin in my room at night. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #187 
Gizmothefreaky

That would be very cute, perhaps have the water section set up in such a way that the ADFs couldn't climb out?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #188 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
Hello! Sorry i have been away! I just wantedto say, frozen bloodworms are a great starting food. Mine eat pellets and bloodworms readily, and always have.
Is there anything else in the tank that coule be bullying them? Sometimes mine wont eat if the cories are crowding them.

How long have you had them, and do they seem bloated, or have red hind legs? they could just not be feeling well... Did you put them in a cycled tank? and what kind of food did you get them, like the brand?

I suggest buying some frozen bloodworms and feeding that before deciding that you need to hand feed. Teaching them that hands mean food makes it to where you cant just throw food in and go, so i avoid it as much as i can.
My betta doesn't say anything to mine. I have had them for about 4 days now and they don't seem bloated at all. They also don't have red hind legs and the tank was cycled.
I got them frog and tadpole bites made by topfin. I scattered them around the area that they hang out in and I noticed 1 or 2 disappear after a while so I guess they are eating, and they survived for a while so they must be eating.
Is it bad to scatter the foot in the tank? I have some seashells in the tank, should I use the inside of those as a feeding plate instead?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #189 
Gizmothefreaky

I love to scatter food in the tank for them as stimulation, just one or two pellets here and there, so it won't foul the water if left too long, but enough to draw their attention. They do enjoy foraging for food, I avoid feeding in the same spot every time, but everyone is different, and what works for mine may not work for yours.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #190 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I love to scatter food in the tank for them as stimulation, just one or two pellets here and there, so it won't foul the water if left too long, but enough to draw their attention. They do enjoy foraging for food, I avoid feeding in the same spot every time, but everyone is different, and what works for mine may not work for yours.
Mine are very small and timid right now so they don't seem to notice the food, but at night I leave the lights off and that's when they eat like 1 or 2 pellets i think.