Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 
kmitchell8789

New owner with 10 g tank

So have been reading as much as i can about betta care and really just want the best for my little dude. I have a couple of questions and really hope someone will be able to answer them. 7
1) should i have an air stone in the tank?
2) which type of tetras are best for tank mates? i have read neon but some people have posted others

I'm sure there are more questions i could ask but will start with these. Additional information about my tank: it's 10 gallons and has a heater and filter with led lights i have placed a couple of plants and a castle in it for him to hide in. my thermometer reads 80 degrees.

My betta loves it

Last edited by kmitchell8789; 05-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.
kmitchell8789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
LinkLover

Bettas get their air from the surface, as I'm sure you will see him do quite often, so I have been told air stones are not really necessary. I don't know anything about tank mates (mine is the king of his ten gallon) so I can't help you there. Your tank sounds great!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
SamJustice

People say corys. I only have a 2.5 gal, so no tank mates for my baby boy. V.V

And I've been told they don't need air stones or things either.

(Also a new betta owner =3 )
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 
mhxistenz

I'm planning to put a betta and ~6 pygmy cories in my 10-gal tank. I have Julii cories in my 20-gal and they are great.
mhxistenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 
kmitchell8789

thank

That's what I figured about the air stone but he seems to like being at the bottom or in the middle of his new home. I have heard that some tetras work well as tankmates.
kmitchell8789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #6 
SamJustice

I think tetras are known for nippy-ness. I know the ones in my MIL's tank sure chase everyone around..xD

but check out the betta compatibility forum. lots of help there. =3
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Nope, airstones are not needed. They may be stressful to the betta if the bubbles/current is too strong.

Some people have shrimp as tankmates for their bettas but be warned - sometimes the betta sees the shrimp as a snack. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places for the shrimp like moss.

snails - again sometimes the betta will try and nip off the antenna but they poop A LOT. Also some snails reproduce on their own. I think nerites and ramhorns are hermaphrodite snails. Apple snails, however are either male or female and will not reproduce on their own. There is also one that can only reproduce in brakish water but i forget which one it is.

Cory's - supposedly make good tankmates. You should have sand substrate for them.

Im sure there is more but I only know about snails, corys and shrimp as tankmates
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 
mhxistenz

My shrimp kept disappearing so I gave up on that. Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater. My bettas have been curious about them but they move on pretty quickly and the nerites just hide in their shells for a bit. Things are going well so far with the cories in my sorority tank.
mhxistenz is offline   Reply With Quote