Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #11 
BettaBaybee

Oh sorry.....size of her home. A triangular BettaKeeper, looks like it holds a little over a liter. I bought the betta water to start with. Will get a gallon of spring water to use next and from now on. Is that ok?
BettaBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #12 
BettaBaybee

Still waiting to hear.....does anyone know if I have a girl or not?? I'm dyin' here!! LOL
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

How come I don't see the picture D:
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #14 
Micho

Only over a litre. . . ? That's tiny. .____. So roughly about a 0.25g tank?

:T How are you properly heating the tank? I highly suggest you invest in a bigger tank for this Betta.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #15 
BettaBaybee

@ Sena.... really?? You can't see my profile pic, or in my album? I only have one pic uploaded of her, that's weird. I'm looking at it right now in the thread and on my profile. Hmmmmmm......
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Yeah that was what I was going to point out lol.

Trust me, 1 gallon will be good for medication and such... but the best bet is an adjustable heater in a 3 gallon - room to grow, less hazard of ammonia then a 0.25 gallon (which you basically need to clean every day to twice a day!) And have the water level to about 2 gallons - I do this for some of the weak swimmers, the SBD bettas, and youngin's

as for your avatar, I cannot tell. It seems to be a bit young to tell the gender..
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #17 
BettaBaybee

@ Micho, it's one of the "BettaKeepers" mini tanks, the triangular one. You can see a pic online, there's a bunch of them posted if you Google BettaKeeper. My home stays at 74 - 76 degrees, I'm not really sure why everyone keeps saying that they use heaters. Bettas usually do fine within that temp. Maybe once Tiny gets bigger I will purchase a larger habitat, but she is really really tiny. Shouldn't this be plenty of room, for now?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

errr.... the room temperature may be 76 but the water will be 75... I know this my room's temperature for my fish is at 82, and the water is at 77!! Now imagine if the heater turned off for the night time... the temperature in my room drops to 75, making the water about 70... they do better in 78-82

I suggest at LEAST a 1 gallon. Because of ammonia.

Never upgrade a tank to a fish's growing size - always have the tank for the fish's adult size :) a gallon will work...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaybee View Post
@ Micho, it's one of the "BettaKeepers" mini tanks, the triangular one. You can see a pic online, there's a bunch of them posted if you Google BettaKeeper. My home stays at 74 - 76 degrees, I'm not really sure why everyone keeps saying that they use heaters. Bettas usually do fine within that temp. Maybe once Tiny gets bigger I will purchase a larger habitat, but she is really really tiny. Shouldn't this be plenty of room, for now?
Ask a breeder. No they don't. Water temp is usually a few degrees lower than room temp. That puts your water at roughly 71F. This is too cold for a betta. Most breeders keep their tanks around 80F. Betta are tropical fish and need heaters. The babies especially because it promotes healthy growth.

As for the size of the tank. We suggest you get a larger one not just for living room but to dilute wastes. When fish eat they produce ammonia which is toxic to them. In a small container of water, ammonia builds up fast and does kill fish (I see this most often with goldfish in gallon bowls). It will also dilute the hormone that babies produce to stunt growth. The water should be changed daily to prevent the buildup of this hormone.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Babies are bad for that I know this!!! outof a spawn I had MJ and three others were double the size of the others...

Tags
baby, female