Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 
SamJustice

Sponge filter

Is it possible to make a sponge filter for my 2.5 gal?
What would I need?
I want a filter for my boy but I don't have the space in the tank really, and I don't wanter the water flow from one stressing him out.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 
ravenwinds

There are some good instructions on YouTube for sponge filters as well as here and planetinverts.com....I understand that you don't want water flow from filter to stress him out but most bettas will get used to it. Some filters (hob...hang on back) are very gentle like the Whisper line. Just so you know, a sponge filter will take up more space inside the tank than a hob filter. Also, you can baffle most filters to decrease water outflow current...there is a sticky about it under housing section!
And yes, you can filter your 2.5g tank...mine is...but you probably won't be able to have a cycled tank with all the beneficial bacteria working like a larger tank...the filter will help in removing some ammonia and solid waste but you would still have to do more water changes than a cycled tank.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
SamJustice

I'll look into the fliters. lol. I used to have a whisper for my 10gal years ago.

It's mostly the hood though, there's no area for a filter. XD

I might look into the internal filters, though.. but, I'm not sure any would fit..
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote