Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #31 
LinkLover

I have been super careful with all of my equipment, and the only thing that ever REALLY goes between tanks is my hands, which are obviously washed thoroughly before and after anything fish related I do. I clean everything really well after each use, so I really don't think that's what it is, although accidents happen. I'm sure it is very worth it, being able to see the difference you make in their lives, and they definitely don't get the love they deserve most of the time. It's just so hard to see them get sick, and struggle, and sometimes die. And yea, the diagnosis is always hard since you can't pick them up and look at every angle, or feel them like you could a dog, cat, or any other non-aquatic critter. A bit off topic, but does anyone have experience with African Dwarf Frogs? I thought those might be a nice break from fish, but would still keep me in the aquatic animal arena (but I'm not saying I'm totally giving up fish, just maybe taking a break).
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #32 
Wolfie305

I know exactly how you feel. I rescued 4 (2 I kept and 2 my cousin kept) goldfish a few months ago and I have been having nothing but problems trying to keep them alive. After battling a horrible disease that no one can diagnose, I am left with one of my babies, who is still going strong. However, she was also and still possibly is battling that disease, so I'm no where near the safe zone yet.

After my most recent death, I felt like giving up. I was honestly expecting little Ro to follow the horrible path my other two did and I was going to back up all the goldfish stuff and never try again.

But people here encouraged me. Told me that even though they died, they spent their last few months in much better conditions than they would have in the pet store (or in their case, in a fish's belly for being feeder fish). It helped a lot <3
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #33 
LinkLover

Oh wow, that is definitely not a fun situation, and I'm sorry for your losses. :/ It's always good to know it's not just me, and yesterday I was about to just rehome both my fish and be done forever. But I agree, their lives are better with me than at a pet store, or with someone who keeps them in a vase with a plant and doesn't care about them. It does give me motivation to hear others have gotten past this feeling and are happy fish owners, even when things do get rough.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #34 
Sheldon31

Been looking into adfs myself as I have a spare 8gal tank :) there is a sticky for adf care written by gizmo I think. Mo has it linked in his thread of care guides.

It is disheartening and maybe you just need some time to have a break xx
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #35 
LinkLover

I got impatient and got one last night (after doing research of course), so I hope that everything goes well. Maybe if he does alright it will make me more confident in my ability to care for animals. But I do think I will take a break from bettas for a little bit, beside Link. I think my rescues would be less stressful if I had more people interested in taking them, since that is the most difficult part for me, besides when they succumb to their illness.