Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Question CTPK x CTPK?

Question! I saw some amazing CTPK's online, and was wondering what would happen with a CTPK x CTPK? Would the line/fins just refine into the CTPK or get all wonky? What about a CTPK x CT or CTPK x HM? Genetics are fascinating...
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
KadenJames
Member
 
KadenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFishTale View Post
Question! I saw some amazing CTPK's online, and was wondering what would happen with a CTPK x CTPK? Would the line/fins just refine into the CTPK or get all wonky? What about a CTPK x CT or CTPK x HM? Genetics are fascinating...
CTPK x CTPK = 100% CTPK.
CTPK x CT = 100% Long finned CT/Combtails.
CTPK x HM = 100% Long finned Combtails.

The general rule when breeding is long finned genetics are dominant, short finned genetics (plakat) are recessive. Crowntail is intermediar, which means the characteristics will show in the offspring regardless (in this case, reduced webbing to create combtails. Another example is broad dorsals and shorter bodies from the Doubletail gene.)
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #3 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
CTPK x CTPK = 100% CTPK.
CTPK x CT = 100% Long finned CT/Combtails.
CTPK x HM = 100% Long finned Combtails.

The general rule when breeding is long finned genetics are dominant, short finned genetics (plakat) are recessive. Crowntail is intermediar, which means the characteristics will show in the offspring regardless (in this case, reduced webbing to create combtails. Another example is broad dorsals and shorter bodies from the Doubletail gene.)
Alright, thank you! I'm thinking about purchasing an imported CTPK pair, the finnage is astoundingly intriguing to me..
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 
KadenJames
Member
 
KadenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
I agree. I saw a black copper CTPK pair, I've never fought myself so much on staying away from the buy it now button. xD
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #5 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
I agree. I saw a black copper CTPK pair, I've never fought myself so much on staying away from the buy it now button. xD
On AB? I saw a few, and was like...Wow. Never seen a good looking CT cross until then. Waiting to hear back if the pair I'm after are still available (fingers crossed.)
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 
Crowntailed
Member
 
Crowntailed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
what if you breed a CTxPK?
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
KadenJames
Member
 
KadenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
A CT x PK = Longfin combtails with the plakat genotype, so breeding the best daughter from the offspring to the PK father will render CTPK.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #8 
KadenJames
Member
 
KadenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFishTale View Post
On AB? I saw a few, and was like...Wow. Never seen a good looking CT cross until then. Waiting to hear back if the pair I'm after are still available (fingers crossed.)
NineBettas has had some REALLY nice CTPK stock. That's where I first saw the coppers.
http://www.chonburi-betta-lover-club...tock_CTPK.html
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #9 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
NineBettas has had some REALLY nice CTPK stock. That's where I first saw the coppers.
http://www.chonburi-betta-lover-club...tock_CTPK.html
That is drool worthy. Now I REALLY want a pair!

Another question. How might one go about starting with CTPK and moving into HMCTPK? Sounds like an interesting project down the road.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #10 
KadenJames
Member
 
KadenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
Well the ones from NineBettas are HMCTPK. Since the female has more influence on the form of the offspring, you should start with a homozygous HMPK male and a CTPK female. You'd get a small amount of PK with extra branching, probably not quite reaching HM, with web reduction. Take the female with the best branching and web reduction, and breed back to the HMPK male. The caudal would be improved but not perfect, so you'd continue to selectively breed until you have your HMCTPK. Unfortunately it'd require culling, culling and more culling.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CTPK I Love It bettakong Betta Pictures 2 12-09-2011 10:53 PM
Those of you wanting CTPK... PitGurl Breeding Betta Fish 0 11-10-2011 08:01 PM
Ctpk? youlovegnats Breeding Betta Fish 19 10-28-2011 11:57 PM
CTPK's? PitGurl Betta Chat 1 04-26-2011 06:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.