Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 
CaseyA

Love the tank but the instructions are INSANE!

Hi Everyone!

I received my new Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 this afternoon and spent a few hours getting it just so for Jack. He seems to like it. :D

I like the tank very much, no complaints. The instructions, however. . ..

I'm one of those people who sit down and read the instructions before doing anything else--recipes, new orchid, something to build, whatever. As I'm reading the tank instructions I run across the following:
3 Tips to Succeed

Success Tip 1: Lighting

Only keep aquarium lights on for 8-10 hours during the day, then turn off at night. (well, okay, I keep mine on more like 14 hours but the idea is right. No problem here.)

Success Tip 2: Feeding

Give your fish one small pinch of food 2 or 3 times per day. (No problem here.)

Success Tip 3: Water Changes

Only change 25% of the water once per month. Never empty all the water at once.
Really? Really?? The box has a freaking betta on the front, it's obviously being marketed to betta owners, and they're telling betta owners to NEVER empty it out and clean it? Knowing that the tank can't support a biological cycle? And how about the 25% once per freaking month???

Heck, I'm a serious noob and even before I came to this forum that would've struck me wrong. Yeesh!

Just had to share.

Am I overreacting or are all tank companies' instructions similarly sprinkled with atrocious advice?

Is it any wonder newbies have such trouble keeping fish alive when this is the kind of "Tip to Succeed" the experts provide?

Gotta get a pic of Jack's new digs tomorrow. It's not done yet, I want to do some custom decorating and am waiting for my tank silicone to arrive, but I guess that's okay.

Last edited by CaseyA; 05-09-2012 at 10:06 PM.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

For a 2.5 gallon, I think you should do a 25% water change, 2-3 times per week.
The instructions on this are wrong. A 2.5 gallon is enough but on the small side.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
For a 2.5 gallon, I think you should do a 25% water change, 2-3 times per week.
The instructions on this are wrong. A 2.5 gallon is enough but on the small side.
Agreed, I foresee 25-35% changes at least twice a week, and maybe a full cleaning once a week. I'm going to watch it closely to determine how often it needs to be dumped and scrubbed.

I'm afraid a 2.5 is my physical limit. I can't handle anything larger. Jack seems very happy in it though.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
SamJustice

Dude. the only instructions my tank came with were how to use the divider. For a 2.5 gal. |= I was like "nu-uh" XD
I'd say a 2.5 should be minimum as a living tank, but some people say 1 gal.. *shrug* Nothing less than a gallon though/
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon mini bow 2.5