Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #31 
Atena

I think his eye is better, but I am not sure. He had a white spot there yesterday that is not there now. I think he has fewer spots too.

I took some better photos of him this morning:

Please let me know. I read on other parts of this forum that epsom salt doesn't work for ick, also, aquarium salt doesn't work for pop eye so I am not sure what to do or even if he has it.

I just fed him his breakfast and he ate a little more reluctantly this morning. He seemed nervous and frightened. But all his hiding spaces are gone so I suppose that is understandable.

Please let me know what you think of his eyes. I will get some epsom salt on my way back from work if he needs it.

thanks you again for your help.

Atena :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #32 
ANHEL123

I don't think he has pop eye so just continue with treatment that i wrote for you which is 2 tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes and just raise the temp .

You can google pop eye so you can see the picture of it.

If you can just get Epsom salt. I always prefer to have both at home in case i need it right away.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #33 
Atena

Thank you. I will do that.

I'll get some Epsom salt, I like it for salt baths anyway and it will be part of my betta pharmacy.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #34 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I would recomment that you do a 100% water change one you see the spots dissappear and clean the tank thoroughly, as well as using as little of the original water as possible, this eliminates as much of the baby parasites as possible.

I used kordon's ich attack with success before, but had to dose at 4times the recommended amount every 6 hours.... I wouldn't say I recommend it as it is expensive and some people say it doesn't work, but it's the only medication I could use at the time with my plants and inverts. just a note.
Never had a run in with popeye before, but I wish you all the best!
It also good to know. I actually used Maracide BIOSPHERES long time ago. And it also worked. I used longer than directed and and did more water changes.

What Atena does she using aquarium salt with daily water changes which is best natural treatment and less stressful for fish. And i hope also will help.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #35 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
Thank you. I will do that.

I'll get some Epsom salt, I like it for salt baths anyway and it will be part of my betta pharmacy.
Also if it easier for you you can use the .5 gall that he came in instead of disposable cup. If you use disposable cup i will recommend to get new one every day. If you will use his .5 gall you will just need to wash it and leave it for next time.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #36 
ANHEL123

About gravel. Once the parasite dehydrate or left without a host they will die...have those stones lay out in the sun while you are treating the betta to ensure that it dries out really good. So you can re use his gravel after you will completely sure that he don’t have any ich anymore.

I hope he will recover. Like i wrote before -treatment time line should be for 3 day PAST the last day you see any Ich on fish to ensure you got them all hiding in the gill plate.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #37 
Atena

I boiled the gravel and now It is drying out. I won't put it back if it is not completely dry.

The plants seem to like it outside which means I probably did not have enough light on them which is what made them start dying.

I fed Guppy a new flake food which he liked quite a bit, it is higher in protein so it should help him build up strength. He definitely has fewer spots this evening, i got home to see him sleeping on his heater. I think that probably is a good thing.

Now it is time for me to change the water again. I feel encouraged that he is feeling better, but I know we are not out of the woods yet.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #38 
Atena

Guppy is doing much better today. He ate just fine and is starting to swim around more. I could find only three spots on his body this morning. Continuing the treatment though to get rid of what I can't see.

Thank you everyone for your help. :)

Last edited by Atena; 05-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #39 
ANHEL123

You need to continue the treatment for MINIMUM of 10 days.

Don't put gravel until you completely sure you get rid of parasites and even wait for a few weeks after the treatment.

Also when you change the water and rinse the tank rinse the heater also.

It good that he is eating. You can alternate flakes and pellets. I don't like flakes because they are massy, but you are right i just look up ingredients and it higher in protein. Don't overfeed with flakes since it can be cause of bloating.

I know it encouraging but it too early to say anything since he should be completely free of them and make sure it not come back. Sorry I don’t want to disappoint you it just I am that way. And you doing wonderful job for him :)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #40 
Atena

Day 7 of treatment with daily water changes with salt and meds and everything seemed to be going well.

Last night when I got home Guppy seemed inactive but I changed the water anyway. I was very careful to keep the water temperature the same.

Guppy did not eat this morning and he just sits at the bottom of the tank.

The only thing I did different is I ran out of water conditioner and started a new bottle but it is the same brand and the same quantity, so I am not sure how that would be the cause.

I am not sure what to do.

He is looking really good, no spots for 5 days now and his color has been paler and more even, but the lethargic behavior is very worrisome.