Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #1 
Mart2289

Exclamation How to Disinfect tank

I had my beautiful crowntail betta for almost 3 weeks and then he got really sick with a bloated belly, a mild case of Dropsy, he became blind and he had fungus in the end. By the time I discovered it it, it was too late, there is nothing I could have done since dropsy is almost untreatable. I even tried treating his constipation and made him confortable in his tank but it did nothing. This morning I woke up and went to see how Roger Wilco was going and I found him floating at the top of the tank.

What I don't understand is that I cycled the tank a week before buying and everything was perfect.

Now I have to disinfect everything and I don't really know what to do since He had like 4 diseases at the same time...

He lived in a 2 gallon tank. I read on the internet that people use 1 part bleach for 19 part of water, but what is it exactly? One cup of bleach for 19 cups of water?..... I don't really know how it works so I would like to know if somebody would like to explain to me how to disinfect a tank properly. It would really help since I want to make sure the tank is sanatized properly for the next fish I will buy.
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 
lvandert

I would use vinegar instead. It's a bit safer. I would fill your tank up most of the way with hot water, as hot as you can get it and then splash a bit of vinegar in it. Then let it sit until you can put your hand in the water without burning it and give it a good scrub. After that just rinse 2-3 times and put your head almost in the tank and sniff. If you smell vinegar rinse again, if you don't then you're clean. lol That's how I did it with my 20 gal and I have yet to have a problem.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 
Mart2289

And I should do the same thing with the plants( they're plastic)? I think it's better if I buy another bag of gravel ....
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #4 
lvandert

Ah yes, wash the plants as well. and another bag of grave would be wise.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote